Puerto Rico school feedback - thread #2 - page 27
by WorldTravelingYogi 38,385 Views | 366 Comments
Wow after 9 years and 1336 posts they closed our thread because it was too long. The original thread and all the helpful posts can be found here: There are 134 pages in that thread but the last 130 pages were from 2010... Read More
- 1May 9, '13 by WorldTravelingYogiQuote from mrd2689aHello Yogi! Thank you so much for your reply!
I do realize that there is a ton of valuable information in this and the old thread. I thought that I had gone through it all, but there really was a lot to absorb, and I guess that back when I was reading it I didn't realize that if you are given permission by a state to sit for the NCLEX that that means that they also approve of your education. Is that right?
Also, I had no idea that you could take the NCLEX for one state in a different state! How does one go about doing this? And can you mix and match any combination? Say I wanted Alabama licensure... Could I take the NCLEX for them administered in Puerto Rico? Do you know of any other "easy" (and maybe Compact) states?
You're a godsend, man..... Making me feel so much reassured and PUMPED about my decision!
Quote from Belle1005mrd2689a Belle has the perfect example. Many people from FL take it through WI because of the things FL requires like taking the TOFEL. So taking it through WI and then endorsing it is a way of skipping that requirement. Not that a native English speaker would fail TOFEL but what a pain in the rear.I took the NCLEX in FL for Wisconsin. Since then I've gotten my endorsement license in FL and have been working as an RN for a little while now. You'll be fine! Some states require you have your educational credentials (your degree) evaluated which costs about $200 minimum. Most states only "approve" schools in their state, they can even have a school that can be approved by the board of nursing but not NLNAC etc and can still test. A NLNAC or CCNE school is important when you want your credits to transfer, want a higher degree, want to work for a state position etc.
Quote from Silverdragon102mrd2689a as Silverdragon stated it costs extra to sit if it is considered in international center. Puerto Rico is considered international because it is not required to have the NCLEX to practice in PR. Pearson Vue charges an aditional 150 USD to take it in PR so it can get expensive.NCLEX can be sat in any pearsonvue center either in the US or another country as long as they administer NCLEX and you have received your ATT. Usually if taken outside the US there is an extra fee but will state something on their website
A friend is taking NCLEX in PR this month and it is costing 500 USD. The break down is 200 to Pearson Vue to sit for NCLEX, 150 to Pearson Vue to take it in Puerto Rico, and 150 to the CA BON.
People that took it for WI in their own state and not Puerto Rico paid 200 to Pearson Vue and 90 USD to the WI BON for a total of 290 USD so it is a big price difference.
You can take it in St Thomas which is part of the US Virgin Islands and you don't have to pay the additional 150 "international" fee. Not that you would pay to fly there to save 150 bucks but just an example. Just so you know San Juan, Puerto Rico to St Thomas is only 68 miles.
- 2May 9, '13 by WorldTravelingYogiQuote from Jelle_BelleWelcome Jenelle, my name is Jennell and I graduated with a Jennelle and my roommate was Jenniel. I can't believe how many there are of us in Puerto Rico. There are a couple people at La Inter right now with our name. I met way more people with our name in PR then I have met in CA.Hello Everyone! My name is Jenelle I will be starting the program in August, and I'm super excited. I'm transferring from Miami, I have already completed my AA here. I look forward to meeting you all in person. I will not be moving until July but I will be in PR the first week of June (family wedding) and I will be visiting the school to tie up any loose ends. I plan on attending orientation on July 24th. I am very familiar with the island since I visit often, plus I have all of my family there so if I can answer any questions I'd be happy to. This is a bit nerve wracking but I look forward to it
- 2May 10, '13 by Jelle_BelleQuote from WorldTravelingYogiThat is unbelievable! I hardly ever meet Jenelles, especially not spelled with an "e". I guess it's meant to be! lol Are you still in PR?Welcome Jenelle, my name is Jennell and I graduated with a Jennelle and my roommate was Jenniel. I can't believe how many there are of us in Puerto Rico. There are a couple people at La Inter right now with our name. I met way more people with our name in PR then I have met in CA.
- 1May 10, '13 by stephaniemariedQuote from Jelle_BelleRight, right.. Sorry I was confusing.. Was your MAT1033 course a clinical calculations class? What kind of class was it/what was it's name? College algebra? Career Math? Personal finance? Not all colleges use the same names/numbers so I just wanna double check and get an idea of what they want. I can't find an email address for admissions, only a phone number, and since I'm in Europe it's hard to call. I'll be there in a little over a week but I'm trying to formulate a plan in my head...MAT1033 took the place of Quantitative Reasoning GEMA 1000.....That is part of the curriculum for the BSN.
Jelle_Belle what was your AA in? Do you think you'll be in the accelerated program?Last edit by Silverdragon102 on May 11, '13 : Reason: TOS
- 1May 11, '13 by Jelle_BelleQuote from stephaniemariedI attended Miami Dade College and MAT1033 is considered Intermediate Algebra:Right, right.. Sorry I was confusing.. Was your MAT1033 course a clinical calculations class? What kind of class was it/what was it's name? College algebra? Career Math? Personal finance? Not all colleges use the same names/numbers so I just wanna double check and get an idea of what they want. I can't find an email address for admissions, only a phone number, and since I'm in Europe it's hard to call. I'll be there in a little over a week but I'm trying to formulate a plan in my head...
Jelle_Belle what was your AA in? Do you think you'll be in the accelerated program?
"This course covers the concepts of variables representing numbers. Students will learn to strengthen their algebraic skills in linear equation solving, quadratics, factoring, rational expressions, radicals, graphing linear equations and inequalities, and related applications."
Not sure what Quantitative Reasoning is at La Inter I assumed that my Statistics course would have covered that but instead they picked MAT1033. I'm happy it is covered period. Not a huge fan of math.
I graduated with an AA specializing in Pre-Nursing.
I have no idea about the accelerated program, I haven't heard anything about it really? How does one qualify?
21 of my credits transfered, I'm hoping when I get to the school I can get them to transfer some more like my art appreciation class.
- 1May 11, '13 by benedictionHello everyone, this is such a great website and thought i'd come here and ask some questions since there is a such great support system for pre-nursing and nursing students. I have some question in regards to the puerto rico nursing. Let me first start of that I'm nearly done with my pre-reqs all i need is microbiology which i will be taking in the fall semester. I've heard such great things about the 'no waiting/entrance exam (TEAS/ HESI A2) requirement' and wanted to start as soon as I finish my pre-reqs (January 2014?) I've been studying for my TEAS v5 exam for about a few weeks now and have yet to apply to a BSN program in California which could take another year before I get into a program sigh... Anyways my questions are:
1) Does the BSN program require a bachelors or associates degree prior to enrolling into the BSN program (accelerated or not), or can you go straight to BSN without any of those?
2) How long does the process take to enroll, and get classes?
3) In terms of apartment, where would you guys consider a nice area to rent an apartment near the campus?
4) If you're from California, how would you rate the cost of living in comparison.
Any answer would be very helpful to me, thanks all, i appreciate it.