Norco given to patient with codeine allergyRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Norco given to patient with codeine allergy in Nursing and Patient Medications, part of General Nursing ... Im at work right now and the rn gave me an order to give norco to a patient after the doctor called...by aligar89 Jan 15Im at work right now and the rn gave me an order to give norco to a patient after the doctor called her. I gave it without looking at her chart or transcribing to the mar. I just took it out of the ekit. Turns out shes allergic to codeine. As of now shes fine but how do i chart on this or what do i do?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=808579©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 802 Views
- Jan 15 by loriangel14You get off of AN and go and tell the RN what happened.You will need to notify the MD ASAP.
- Jan 15 by TheCommuterMany patients who have codeine allergies can tolerate hydrocodone/acetaminophen (Norco) just fine. Norco is not codeine. I would leave the issue alone and continue to monitor your patient.
- Jan 15 by aligar89Awesome thanks the commuter my supervisor said the same
- Jan 15 by KelRN215Norco is Vicodin, right? So it's hydrocodone and acetaminophen. It's not the same thing as codeine.
- Jan 15 by Sweet_Wild_RoseQuote from loriangel14That's one of the things I've wondered when I read posts like this- why are you asking for information on an anonymous message board? Get up from the computer, and go ask someone you know has the proper knowledge, not some person on a message board who can't prove they have the required knowledge. Admitting mistakes is a sign of strength, not of weakness, especially when they are learned from!You get off of AN and go and tell the RN what happened.You will need to notify the MD ASAP.