Metformin for Poly-cystic ovarian syndrome (POS)?Register Today!
- by stillpressingon Feb 25, '07Any body heard of this? Had a pt today who was on it, but said it wasn't for diabetes but the syndrome. Thanks!
- 4,288 Views
- Feb 25, '07 by sirII've had several pts. on this drug for PCOS.
Several links regarding this:
- Feb 25, '07 by stillpressingonThanks, Siri! That's a new one to me
- Feb 25, '07 by sirIYou are welcome!!!!
- Feb 25, '07 by aviator411Metformin (glucophage) was mentioned in the nutrition class I took last summer as one of the treatments (along with diet and exercise) for polycystic ovaries or the "metabolic syndrome", also known as insulin resistance.
There are recent reports, however, of problems of liver toxicity with metformin which causes nurses I know who might benefit from it to refuse it on that basis.
- Feb 25, '07 by AMR21yep, i have PCOS and take metiformin. most doc's ive been to other then my endocrinologist are not aware of the drug's usage for PCOS.
- Mar 11, '07 by Myxel67Quote from aviator411metformin should not be taken by people with liver disease or renal impairment. should not be taken by men with creatinine>1.5 or by women with creatinine > 1.4. contraindication is because drug may build up in system and increase risk of lactic acidosis, which is otherwise a rare risk. the increased risk of lactic acidosis is also the reason metformin is held for 48 hrs after pt receives iv iodine contrast.metformin (glucophage) was mentioned in the nutrition class i took last summer as one of the treatments (along with diet and exercise) for polycystic ovaries or the "metabolic syndrome", also known as insulin resistance.
there are recent reports, however, of problems of liver toxicity with metformin which causes nurses i know who might benefit from it to refuse it on that basis.
many people refuse to take statins because of fear of liver damage. however, they don't hesitate to take tylenol for a hangover.
- Mar 12, '07 by ElvishIn the community health ctr where I used to work we had several pts with PCOS taking metformin. (We drew their LFTs on a regular basis too.)