Am i over thinking this?
I work front office while i go to school, so i did not get to express an opinion at work, but i dont understand the following.
Pt calls asking for an Epipen.
Have you ever used an epipen before? No.
Do you have allergies? No.
Why do you need an Epipen? I saw a beehive on my street.
Are you allergic to Bees? No.
I am afraid i am not following, what will you use the epipen for? In case someone on my street or my roommates gets stung, i will use it on them.
I send back the message. The Dr. has an epipen called in for him no questions asked.
There was no discussion with him about how to recognize an anaphylactic reaction. or when to use the pen.
Is this usual? I understand the logic, but is it really safe to put a dangerous drug in the hands of someone who knows nothing about it? are the in such small dosages that you could not do lasting harm if it was given for the wrong reasons? by this logic, should everyone have an epipen?
Thanks for your input!