Hello all. Thanks in advance for reading. I'm an LPN, almost 2 years experience on a Med-Surg floor in a hopsital where LPN's are trained & utilized as much as the RN's. Great OJT. The situation I'm facing is this: I want to start back to school next year for the RN, but the question is: Excelsior or brick and mortar? I'm getting very close to making a decision, and I want bounce my thoughts off of others to make sure that I'm thinking straight. Here are the contingency factors:
1. the local cc nursing program is in disarray; not a good time to enroll
2. There is a local private college, very expensive, I'd graduate with large loan to pay back
3. There are other cc's in the next two counties, but I'd have to move, change jobs, etc. Not sure if I can even afford to move....
3. My mother lives in Virginia, age 85 but my son lives here in FL, not with me, but he's chronically ill and needs me from time to time (also has my granddaughter! :-). I'd like to stay flexible/be able to travel even while I'm in school, so I've been considering Excelsior HOWEVER
4. I am very concerned about the limitations states are putting on Excelsior grads; what if I want to move? what if I want to do travel nursing after graduating (oldest son lives in CO)?
5. ALSO: would like to get this (school) over with asap!
A friend of mine just passed the CPNE with Excelsior and only 2 out of 8 passed; they were the two with hospital experience, so I intend to continue at a hospital. Also, I DO need almost all pre-req's. Can you even do pre-req's with Excelsior???
I'm older (54), smart, graduated at the top of my class, self-disciplined, blah blah blah. What do you other, more experienced people think? Thanks for reading! This forum is fantastic because of the fantastic people!