Paramedic to RN via ExcelsiorRegister Today!
- by slowz801 Aug 30, '10I am preparing to enter Excelsior College and begin the program to get my ASN. I am currently working for a full time fire department as a paramedic and have been on the job for 6 years. The threads on this site have been extremely informative concerning Excelsior College and the Paramedic bridge program.
I wanted to start this thread to get more up to date info from recent graduates from Excelsior so I can get a understanding of what I am about to do.
Is THE COLLEGE NETWORK a waste of time? ...or do they help make the process easier? I think my learning style would benefit from being able to access information online and use it to study as opposed to books.
Has anyone use TCN to go through Excelsior?
Having gone through EC, what advice can you give me, regardless of your background, although I would love to hear from other paramedics!
- Aug 30, '10 by BarbaraNMHi,
If you search "College Network" on this site, you will find a wealth of information! Their 'modules' are not online... but, rather, binders that cost $400 - 500 each. You are locked into a contract, and end up paying approx double the cost of going through EC without these materials. In fact, EC has a warning on their site about such companies. I'll link it for you:
Also, if you search EBay... you can find their materials for a LOT less... just FYI!
- Aug 30, '10 by BarbaraNMLisa,
That was a GREAT thread you linked re TCN! Ivan really said it like it is...there IS a lot of material, and there are no shortcuts.
Where I work, TCN is constantly sending us email, forwarded by our Education Dept. It almost seems like they are endorsing it. I recently wrote a long email to one of the Dept leaders, refuting TCN's claims. Not sure if they are going to use it.
- Aug 31, '10 by 2CareerRNI worked as a medic for 16yrs before getting my ASN at Excelsior.
I used TCN. I didn't know better at the time but they did get me started. Some of their modules are good and help you pass the tests but others do not have all the info needed to pass some. If you want check out a module, look on Ebay first.
Excelsior will tell you what you need to do and they are very helpful. If you are going to pay 4, 6 grand for TCN modules it would in your best interest to buy text book required by Excelisor instead. You will use them in the further while you work as a nurse.
Good luck and PM with any questions...
- Aug 31, '10 by TashaLPN2006RN2012i personally am doing all of this with JUST textbooks i bought off ebay an edition or two previous than the ones recommended and if you look in my signature you can see my grades on the exams. this is a VERY doable program using JUST textbooks! good luck!