Kansas City Area Community Colleges & Online Prereqs (physio & micro)Register Today!
This is a discussion on Kansas City Area Community Colleges & Online Prereqs (physio & micro) in Nursing Online Distance Learning, part of Online Nursing Schools, Traditional Schools, Colleges, Universities ... Hello and thanks for reading: I need to take Human Physiology+Lab, and Microbiology+Lab. I'm...by GonnaBSN Mar 8, '10Hello and thanks for reading:
I need to take Human Physiology+Lab, and Microbiology+Lab. I'm trying to decide whether an online version of one or both in Summer 2010 will be right for me. Has anyone taken either of these at KCKCC, JCCC, NCCC, or another Kansas City area community college?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=460826©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 4,214 Views
- Mar 10, '10 by sciencefanI've taken Biology & Lab, Human Anatomy & Lab, Medical Terminology, and Physical Science at JCCC, along with several other courses. At KCKCC I'm currently taking Microbiology & Lab, Physiology & Lab, and Chemistry & Lab. I have to say honestly both schools have their own pros and cons.
JCCC Cons - At JCCC, I hated how they treat the students like it's high school (calling roll), and if you miss more than three classes, it affects your grade. I also hated that most, not all, but most of the teachers there spent more time talking about their political views than the actual subject they were suppose to be teaching.
JCCC Pros - The teachers' lectures match their test, I only had a few classes there where I actually had to open a text book. Also the classes seem easier at JCCC, the courses don't get into as much depth.
KCKCC Pros - Teachers seem more lively and personable. They treat the students like adults. Parking is better!
KCKCC Cons - Classes are a little more in depth.
I talk to a lot of students taking online courses, and they have much more course work than in an actual classroom. They have papers due, projects due, homework, and quizzes.
If you take microbiology at KCKCC in a classroom, take it from (moderator edit of name)! His lectures match his test exactly. I take Microbiology at 8:00am just because it was the last opening in his classes. Getting up at 8:00am has been worth it; I love the class.
If you take Physiology & Lab at KCKCC I like (moderator edit of name).
But Stay Away From (moderator edit of name), her lectures (all definitions on an old projector, No PowerPoint) do not match her test at all, also no handouts or study guides, just a million definitions and a test every week. I've taken about sixty credit hours total, and her test were the worst I've ever seen!!Last edit by LunahRN on Mar 10, '10 : Reason: TOS - please do not post faculty names.
- Mar 10, '10 by GonnaBSNQuote from sciencefanif you take microbiology at kckcc in a classroom, take it from (moderator edit of name)! his lectures match his test exactly. i take microbiology at 8:00am just because it was the last opening in his classes. getting up at 8:00am has been worth it; i love the class.
if you take physiology & lab at kckcc i like (moderator edit of name).
but stay away from (moderator edit of name), her lectures (all definitions on an old projector, no powerpoint) do not match her test at all, also no handouts or study guides, just a million definitions and a test every week. i've taken about sixty credit hours total, and her test were the worst i've ever seen!!
hi, the moderator edited the names you included. would you mind emailing them to me.
thanks!Last edit by LunahRN on Mar 10, '10 : Reason: TOS - Please don't post your email address.
- Mar 15, '10 by sciencefanI'm not good with sites likes this, I usually do not sign up for forum/blog sites. I can not figure out how to Private Message (PM). Any help would be appreciated!
- Mar 15, '10 by GonnaBSNQuote from sciencefanI'm not good with sites likes this, I usually do not sign up for forum/blog sites. I can not figure out how to Private Message (PM). Any help would be appreciated!
It took me a few days to figure it out as well... Once you have posted/responded to 15 times, you earn the ability to Private Message someone. Once you've earned it, a special icon will appear next to everyone's username. I worked all last week to post lots, so that I could reach out to you specifically... so I will try it now!
- Mar 16, '10 by mom2twinsplus1how specifically are the online classes at JCCC and KCKCC I don't recall anyone answering that I too am interested
- Mar 21, '10 by sciencefanI've taken a couple of classes online at JCCC, a few years ago. Online classes still have a professor teaching it, and online courses still use the same text book. So, you learn the same information.
But online classes, to me, seem to be too much work.
Example of course work: In my Microbiology class, all we have are lectures and tests-one about every three weeks (that's it). Other students I talk to, who are taking Microbiology online, have massive amounts of papers, homework, and assignments due, and constant quizzes.
Everyone is different, people who are not good test takers usually need quizzes, homework, and papers to help out their grade. I wouldn't have time to do all of that with my course load and my family (kids).
- Mar 21, '10 by mom2twinsplus1i appreciate your respone bc i too have kids, 3 to be exact, and I do not need any unneccesary busy work. thanks for your insight I have not taken any online classes but they seem appealing for the lack of class time needed to be away from home but its something to think about
- Mar 31, '10 by caliotter3Sciencefan gave an excellent overview of the local courses. Wanted to add that if you decide to go for online classes, some options you might want to consider are: Ocean County Community college, www.ocean.edu Colorado consortium www.ccconline.org or UNE www.une.edu/com/online All three of these schools offer online science courses with labs that many students have successfully used for transfer credits.
- Mar 31, '10 by kansasrtamyI took Chem and Lab online when I was in the resp therapy program from KCK. I am so glad I did it. They mailed me a box with the labs I could do at home..then the chemicals we couldn't have they had a computer program you did the simulations on. Thats my personal experience...but it worked out really well.