Excelsior LVN to RN program - any TEXAS grads????
- 0Mar 21, '10 by jenniferhill1983Has anyone from Texas completed the LVN to RN program from Excelsior? The State BON website does not list Excelsior as a recognized school, yet Excelsior is claiming otherwise on their site. There was a new bill passed by the governor last summer that supposedly recognizes Excelsior, but I can't find proof of that on the BON site.
I don't want to waste $ and time if I can't sit for the NCLEX RN!
- 14,540 Visits
- 0Mar 22, '10 by txspadequeenRNyou will not find ec listed on the texas bon site because it is a school located in new york. texas only regulates schools located in texas... the texas bon stand on out of state schools is it has to be accepted in the home state and ec is accepted in new york...
straight from the texas bon site http://www.bne.state.tx.us/nursinged..._students.html
"the texas board of nursing (bon) approves and regulates nursing educational programs in the state of texas. the texas bon does recognize graduates from pre-licensure nursing educational programs that are approved/accredited by other state boards of nursing as eligible to apply to take the nclex examination(s) and apply for licensure in texas."
i can tell you 100% sure that texas recognizes ec because i am a recent grad as of 4/09 licensed by texas in 6/09
- 0Mar 22, '10 by jenniferhill1983Yay!!! I would still rather use my local junior college, but it feels GREAT to know I have an alternative!
Do you remember how many clinical rotations you have to do with Excelsior? Is it just one weekend at the end of the program, or do you have to do them as the program progresses? Plano is about 2.5 hours from me so it's not a problem getting a hotel room for the weekend.
- 0Mar 22, '10 by Pixie.RN Senior ModeratorIt's a fairly grueling clinical exam at the end of the program, and it takes place over 2.5 days. My advice is to set up an account on the EC website, then go here: https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_...ations_Request
Download the "School of Nursing Catalog." Please read the Associates section carefully so that you know what you're signing up for! Also, there is a publication called "How Much Will Your Excelsior College Associate Degree in Nursing Cost?" that will give you a rough estimate of price.
Also, please be aware that EC is not recognized in all states. Texas is fine with it, but if you move out of state, you might have some issues with licensure. Information is here: https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_...d_Requirements
- 0Mar 22, '10 by LA♥NursePlano CPNE site is not being used anymore. I think the only site still being used in Texas is in Lubbock.
If you do choose to go through Excelsior, you will probably need to take A&P and Microbiology at a local college...I checked with a college in TX before I started Excelsior, and they told me TX requires labs to sit for NCLEX-RN. (I live in LA, few miles from state line and a lab portion is not required for ASN)
- 0Mar 22, '10 by txspadequeenRNgood point... i had all my pre-classes done at the community college so i didn't even check into that...
Quote from danamichelle
if you do choose to go through excelsior, you will probably need to take a&p and microbiology at a local college...i checked with a college in tx before i started excelsior, and they told me tx requires labs to sit for nclex-rn. (i live in la, few miles from state line and a lab portion is not required for asn)