Six dead in nursing home shootingRegister Today!
- by Atheos Mar 29, '09Six dead in nursing home shooting
MOORE COUNTY (WTVD) -- Police confirm six people are dead after a shooting at an assisted living facility in the town of Carthage.
The incident happened around 10 a.m. on Sunday. Carthage Police were called to Pinelake Health and Rehabilitation Center in reference to a shooting.
Police confirm six people are dead and three are injured. A police officer and the shooter are among the injured.
Carthage Police Department Chief Chris McKenzie describes the shooter as an "adult male." He says the shooter walked into the facility around 10 a.m. McKenzie says the shooter was not a patient at Pinelake Health and Rehabilitation Center.
No other information is being released at this time.
Firsthealth Moore Regional Hospital tells Eyewitness News several people have been shot and transported to the hospital.
The hospital is currently on lockdown. No one can enter or leave the Pinehurst facility. Gretchen Kelly with the hospital states the first shooting victim arrived by ambulance at 10:34 a.m.
A witness says he saw the police officer airlifted from the scene sometime between 10:30 and 11 a.m.
Multiple police units are on the scene surrounding the nursing home including the Moore County Sheriff's Department, Vass Police, Robbins Police and the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office.
This is a developing story.
What the heck man...
Can't even go to work without some arse shooting at you.
Absolutely. Disgusting. Horrific. Saddening. Ugh.Last edit by Atheos on Mar 31, '09 : Reason: Update count...
- 11,410 Views
- Mar 29, '09 by truernLord have mercy!! That's practically in my back yard
- Mar 29, '09 by Valerie SalvaOMG!!
- Mar 29, '09 by VivaLasViejasHoly cats!
Something is VERY wrong with the world when someone just walks into a place where vulnerable people are and starts shooting randomly. And as un-politically correct as it sounds, this is one of those times when I wish some staff member or visitor had been armed so the shooter could have been taken out before he had a chance to do so much damage.
Lord be with the families of those killed and wounded.
- Mar 29, '09 by ktwlpn
- Mar 29, '09 by winsome08People need to take responsibility for their actions and stop blaming others for the fix they are in. Yes, the economy is bad, people losing jobs, homes, cars and family; why not seek help at a shelter and volunteer your services for food or barter? Taking a human life is not going to fix what is wrong in your life. We need to pray for the families affected and if there are people on this site who can be of assistance, do be afraid to ask if you can help in anyway. God bless.
- Mar 29, '09 by perthisaso sad
- Mar 29, '09 by ktwlpnI've read that the victims were residents.There is going to be a press conference soon.What a mess....No security in the 225 bed facility I work in-we have 2 wings and numerous unlocked doors all day...I worked in a nursing home years ago in which something pretty bad happened-(no one died but it was bad) The admin had bars on the doors and panic buttons at all of the nurses stations installed within 48 hours-too late for the women whom were taken outside and raped-leaving the residents un-attended.