Possible therapy takes bite out of peanut allergyRegister Today!
- by Jolie Mar 16, '09WASHINGTON (AP) -- A handful of children once severely allergic to peanuts now can munch them without worry. Scientists retrained their bodies to tolerate peanuts by feeding them tiny amounts of the very food that endangered them.
Don't try this on your own. Doctors monitored youngsters closely in case they needed rescue, and there's no way to dice a peanut as small as the treatment doses required.
But it's the first evidence that life-threatening peanut allergies one day may be cured. Immune system tests show no sign of remaining allergy in five children, and others can withstand amounts that once would have left them wheezing or worse, researchers reported Sunday.
Are the five cured? Doctors at Duke University Medical Center and Arkansas Children's Hospital must track them years longer to be sure.
full article: http://www.wlsam.com/news.asp?c=5149...LATE%3DDEFAULT
- 947 Views
- Mar 17, '09 by feralnostalgiainteresting to see our very own Arkansas Children's Hospital in the news...
- Mar 17, '09 by iteachobAs the mother of a 7 year old with a severe tree nut allergy, I'm glad to see that there might be some hope for sufferers of food allergy. My son has only had one anaphylactic reaction to a pecan (at the age of 4), but that experience so affected him.....he even questions me about whether something I have given him is safe for him to eat!
- Mar 18, '09 by mcleanliteachob,
I am equally excited! I am a mother of a 5 year old son with severe life-threatening allergies to dairy, eggs, peanuts and tree-nuts. He is an amazing child and fully aware of allergies. He understands that he can never eat anything unless it comes from home.
- Mar 18, '09 by ThunderwolfHomeopathic medicine.
It has its place.
- Mar 18, '09 by mcleanlbeen there, done that....it has never proven effective for anaphylaxis