Parents' fear of vaccination nearly killed their son
- 1Jun 11, '13 by KelRN215This is an article I came across on facebook today and felt it worthy of sharing. When kids aren't vaccinated, a small cut on the foot can lead to a prolonged ICU stay and a prolonged intubation/sedation.
- 4Jun 12, '13 by HippyDippyLPNSo scary...although I don't push my views on other parents, I have a hard time understanding not vaccinating. Delayed vaccination I kinda get but just flat out not doing it is not doing your child any favors. We have had pertussis outbreaks in my area, infants becoming seriously ill, and people still say their child is better off without the immunizations. This boys situation could have been avoided with a simple Tdap, I've given it a gazillion times and have only ever heard of a sore arm after.
- 9Jun 12, '13 by ♪♫ in my ♥I worked with a wise, older doc who would counsel parents and say, "Look, if you're not going to get one single other vaccine, at least get this one. The germ for tetanus is everywhere, the vaccine has been around for decades, and the disease is usually fatal, a horrible way to die, and 100% preventable."
- 9Jun 12, '13 by ♪♫ in my ♥Quote from storyReading posts on the internet is not research...Ian Williamson says they did their own research and decided not to vaccinate their children.
"If you google vaccines you get a lot of pros and a lot of cons, and you start to read all the cons and they start to weigh on you...
Williams says that he was influenced by stories he read on the internet that the MMR (Measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine was linked to children developing autism; that they contain mercury and aluminium and that vaccines are promoted by drug companies purely for profit.
- 2Jun 12, '13 by FutureNurseS.BrownQuote from jadelpnYou and HippyDippyLPN make excellent points. It wasn't choice as to whether or not you were going to have your child(ren) vaccinated, it was mandatory. I was a teen parent and went to an Alternative Ed. school for teen parents. One girl chose to not have her son vaccinated and child protective services came and took the baby.And what I find most mind blowing, is that the decision not to vaccinate is usually made by fully vaccinated parents.
Because back in our day it was not even a choice.
Sent from my iPhone using allnurses.com