Nurse's mistake puts man in coma in Kyoto Japan
20 May 2004
A nurse at Kyoto Municipal Hospital in Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto, Japan, caused a male patient in his 50s to go into a coma when she accidentally blocked his oxygen flow, The Yomiuri Shimbun learned Tuesday.
The hospital has admitted responsibility for the accident. The Kyoto prefectural police have been investigating the incident on suspicion of professional negligence.
According to the hospital, the patient underwent surgery for lung cancer in mid- April. He began receiving oxygen through a tracheostomy tube Friday.
On Sunday, as his condition improved, a doctor ordered the 50-year-old nurse to halve the oxygen supply from four liters per minute to two liters per minute.
However, the nurse mistakenly stopped using the tracheostomy tube and delivered oxygen to the patient through a tube in his nose. As a result, the patient went into cardiac and respiratory arrest and has been in a coma ever since.