NCLEX To Be Required For Canadian Nurses
- 0Dec 12, '11 by DoGoodThenGoOTTAWA, Dec. 9, 2011 /CNW/ - The Canadian Nurses Association (CNA) is shocked at the announcement by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) that NCSBN will bring the NCLEX-RNŽ exam to Canada for the purpose of licensing new nurses. This means that by as early as 2015, the current Canadian exam will no longer exist and new nurses could be writing an exam with no Canadian content.
- 0Dec 31, '11 by dishesIf you are interested, this topic is also being discussed in the Canadian forum http://allnurses.com/canadian-nurses...at-652105.html
- 0Dec 31, '11 by heartnursingHere is the website for the CNA which published this article
Canadian Nurses Association - News Releases - Concern grows over adoption of American registered nurse exam
- 1Jan 3, '12 by Meriwhen Asst. AdminQuote from OCNRN63I think that's all the poster meant, that the NCLEX should be required for non-US nurses who wish to come to the US to practice as a nurse. I don't think they were applying it globally.If they want to practice here, sure, but for a nurse in the UK who wants to practice in the UK? Pretty presumptuous.
- 2Jan 3, '12 by lilcampy310Quote from MeriwhenYes that's what I meant- ThanksI think that's all the poster meant, that the NCLEX should be required for non-US nurses who wish to come to the US to practice as a nurse. I don't think they were applying it globally.
- 0Jan 4, '12 by AprettynewRNI'm not sure how I feel about this. Nursing is a universal profession and I think a better solution is to have a international agreement on content and composition of national exams than to use one exam that may not reflect the customs or workings of the society/system.
Is there some evidence of higher percentages of medical errors made by Canadian nurses that I'm unaware of or did some agency that specializes in flooding the market with Phillipina nurses complain it was "unfair" fo them to have to pass NCLEX when Canadians didn't maybe?Last edit by AprettynewRN on Jan 4, '12