Bad news from Oikos Christian Univ nursingRegister Today!
- by sallyp911 Apr 2, '12This is from Oakland, CA., I never heard of this school, but I hope the people shot were not ones you guys knew....so sad...
At least five people are dead after a gunman opened fire at Oikos University, a Christian school in Oakland, Calif., this morning. According to police the gunman fired multiple shots in the school at 10:33 a.m. Police have not said how many people were killed or wounded, but aerial video from the scene shows five bodies laid out under sheets on the school lawn.
Police described the suspect as an Asian male, 5-foot-9, wearing tan pants, according ABC station KGO-TV in San Francisco.
Although police have reportedly detained one person, it is unclear if that person was the gunman or if there was a continued threat on campus.
One witness described a chaotic scene in the moments after the shooting. Brian Snow was at a nearby credit union, when he first heard the shots and saw a victim run out of the building.
"I just heard more gunshots. A lady came out running and she had blood on her arm, but I didn't know how bad the wound was," Snow told KGO Radio. "She was just trying to make sure everyone was safe and took off her jacket and she had a big old hole in her arm."
Oikos University is a Christian university that focuses on nursing. The school's website describes students as "given the opportunity to obtain a Christian education that is based on solid Christian doctrine and ideology. Our main goal is to foster spiritual Christian leaders who abide by God's intentions and to expand God's nation through them."Last edit by sallyp911 on Apr 2, '12 : Reason: added info
- 1,198 Views
- Apr 2, '12 by dianahMoved to Nursing News section.
- Apr 3, '12 by bingubsnSad...sick people, hope the wounded r ok
- Apr 3, '12 by GitanoRNimmediately, after hearing the news i tried to post the info: without any results. however, my heart and my condolences goes to the victims families and their friends of those who perished during this fatal incident.
- Apr 3, '12 by That GuyI wish the person would have shot himself first and saved the other people.
- Apr 3, '12 by tothepointeLVNSo sad. Tensions always seem to run high in nursing school. Is it the stress or the lack of a acceptable outlet. My school dismissed people without recourse and at the same time showed others great leniency. I can see how a situation like that might put someone over the edge.
- Apr 3, '12 by caliotter3Later on in the news they said the suspect is deeply in debt, was looking for a specific woman, and was irritated from people getting on his case because of his poor English skills.
- Apr 3, '12 by sallyp911Quote from caliotter3It was the female administrator per last report. He was lining up people to shoot at. I can't even imagine the horror if I was in the line-up and then the gun goes off.Later on in the news they said the suspect is deeply in debt, was looking for a specific woman, and was irritated from people getting on his case because of his poor English skills.
Any possible case of bullying?
Given the shooter's age, maybe he was also looking at a nursing job to help him pay off those debts and then to lose out that "dream", it was too much to take as he was thinking it was his last resort, who knows till they dig deeper.
Yes, my condolences to the victim's families.
- Apr 3, '12 by caliotter3Sounds to me that they will find there were subtle hints of mental disturbance that went unseen. Forty-three and you don't like it because people remark about your accent? How many thousands of people with thick accents get treated differently every day, yet they don't go around gunning down people. He snapped.
- Apr 3, '12 by herring_RNsuch a tragedy
...the 43-year-old suspect told police he wanted to get back at the school and to inflict pain, jordan said.
there are conflicting reports about whether he was expelled, but the suspect left the school in november and told investigators he wasn't satisfied with the class he was taking. he was also upset with some classmates because he felt he was being teased -- particularly about his english skills -- and treated differently by them. people stopped talking to him and wouldn't even acknowledge him at times, he told investigators.
seven people died, and three more were wounded in the monday morning shooting at the small christian university, the bay area's worst mass killing in almost 20 years. …
police: rampage suspect sought revenge against oakland school - san jose mercury news... the university was licensed by the state's bureau of private postsecondary education, which regulates for-profit and vocational schools, on may 13, 2011, said bureau spokesman russ heimerich. the school also is accredited by the state board of vocational nursing and psychiatric technicians. …