Has anyone been hired with a criminal background?Register Today!
- by virgojd Aug 25I am currently enrolled in the IPN Program for florida. I am on a 5 yr contract and just started 4 mos ago. I have been released to work without a narcotic key restriction. I have a criminal background with arrests for dui's, pot possession (half a joint), and domestic disturbance obstruction of officer (all misdemeanors). I have never diverted or caught at work under the influence. I was a weekend warrior type drinking problem.
My questions is: has anyone here had a similar experience/background and gotten hired? I have applied for one job so far about 3 weeks ago and have not heard back from the hospital. it is a hospital I worked at in the past as a traveler. I had a good experience there.
I just need some hope.........
thanks for any help.
- Aug 26 by iceangelred86I am an LPN currently in recovery. I was arrested for a Tier 3 DUI (Driving under the influence of a controlled substance almost a year ago. I was subsequently drug tested and terminated from my job at a long term care facility. I was placed in a first time offenders program and am currently about halfway through that. I managed to get a job in another long term care facility about a month after my termination from the previous facility without a problem. I was just honest with them and outlined the steps I was taking toward recovery (I have maintained sobriety since then).
I wish you the best in your job search!
- Aug 27 by virgojdthanks for the comments!!! any others out there in a similar situation?
- Oct 23 by Mistyone13I've been a nurse for 30 yrs. I had a felony conviction 5 yrs before I became a RN. It has really never kept me from getting a job but it has kept me from applying for some positions involving budgeting etc. i have always been straight forward & reported my history. About 7 weeks ago I accepted a case mngmt position with an insurance co. I discussed my offense prior to being interviewed, it was my app., & when I was offered the position, I clarified it would not be a problem. Now it is an issue. Even though I have been there 7 weeks, they are now telling me this is an issue. I had to talk to their corporate lawyer & the ethics dept. I was told yesterday that they would let me know in a couple days. They are doing this to 3 other girls in orientation. One of the girls sentence was a suspended imposition. All of us self reported & may not have jobs. We were honest. Also, the offenses didn't show up on any of our background checks. My offense was 35 yrs ago. It never goes away. Becoming more of an issue now. All I can say is, pray. There is a Higher Power in charge.
- Oct 24 by virgojdthank you so much for responding Misty. it's sad that we have to be punished for the rest of our lives for mistakes we made in the past. I am still looking for a job and no one will hire me.... i only have 5 years from my last conviction. in a span from 2002 - 2008 i had 5 arrests for dui's and one pot possession (1/2 joint). i was going through a really tough time and used alcohol and pot to self medicate my anxiety and depression. i agree there is a Higher Power involved!!! we can pray for each other! i pray all turns out well for you.