Can I get a nursing degree with a felony?
- 0Nov 6, '08 by savkelchrHi, Im new to the forums. I live in Missouri. I am a stay home mom with a current frug charge felony from 3 years ago. I have been clean and sober everyday for the last 3 years. My youngest son is 4 this year and Im very interested in persuing a degree in healthcare as a RN or LPN. I just dont know if that is possible with my current felony. Where can I start to look for answers as to the rules and licences?
- 0Nov 6, '08 by sirI Admincongratulations on your sobriety.
questions we seem to be encountering more and more often have to do with the effects of a criminal history on nursing licensure:
- is it possible to become licensed as a nurse if you have a criminal history and if so, can i get a job?
- is it possible to become licensed as a nurse if you have a mip, dui, or other related charges?
- what happens if you are charged or convicted of a crime after licensure?
- can i go to nursing school and/or be licensed/be employed if my record has been sealed or expunged?
- will i be able to go to nursing school and/or attend clinicals with a criminal record?
- what can happen if i receive a mip/dui/dwi or other charge while still in school?
these are questions that the members of allnurses.com cannot answer. the only reliable source of information is your state board of nursing.
if you are a nursing student or are interested in becoming a nurse you need to contact your bon and/or your school of nursing directly. you need to be completely candid with them as to the nature and disposition of the crimes. each board of nursing makes a determination on a case by case basis and some are willing to issue a declarative statement in advance.