A STRESSED NURSE ("My experience last night").
Place of Work: a large (Catholic) hospital run by nuns: that means a place where patients can get free healthcare in under-staff units from over-worked and under-paid nurses.
** PATIENT RATIO:
1. I had 11 patients to monitor.
2. I had a LVN to help me with only 6 out of 11 of my patients.
(no nursing aide available).
3. I did all the I.V. therapies of the 11 patients.
** PATIENT RATIO:
1) Medical-Surgical Unit.
2) 12 Hour Night Shift.
3) 5 out of 11 patients was primary care (ex. bedpans, bathe,
answering the call bells..etc).
4) 2 out of 11 Patients with TPNs.
5) 2 out of 11 patients on Isolations.
6) 1 out of 11 patients ask for MSO Q4hrs (through the whole
7) 1 out of 11 a "new" admission (took 2 hours - 3 pgs of
8) 1 out of 11 a "transfer".
9) 4 out of 11 patients received at least 3 IVPBs.
10) 1 out of 11 patients received 11 IVPBs through the night.
11) 1 out of 11 patients needed wound care.
12) 2 out of 11 patients diabetic: need blood sugar monitoring.
13) Took vital signs and I&O on 5 out of 11 of my patients.
14) Full charting on 5 out of 11 of my patients (physical
15) 1 out of 11 patients with tube feeding.
1. I was "floated" to this floor unit (I was not a regular staff and
2. The new admission I received was a mistake to my floor unit.
She should of been to Critical Care - told by my charge nurse,
and after I did 2 hours of work on the patient (admission
assessment and treatments). After the acknowledgement of
the mistake, patient was transferred.
3. I had no break -- only 5 minutes to go to the bathroom.
4. Most of the time, my charge nurse would smile at me and ask
me if I'm okay (my reply "no") - AND she would grimace when I
actually asked her for help, such as hanging an IVPB for me.
One of her replies was, "I need to take my break".
** Please, what is your comment to this? **
** What was your "stressed" patient ratio and duties? **
** GET IT ALL OUT !! **