How to mention pending offers while interviewing for nurse positions

  1. 0
    Hi,

    I am a new grad who is interviewing for a position I really want in Chicago on Monday. However, I have received a good opportunity in Michigan and need to accept or decline the offer the same day as my interview in Chicago. I am wondering if it is okay to bring it up at the end of my interview by kindly mentioning I have an offer pending. I was thinking I could reiterate the fact that if given the position in Chicago I would take it hands down, but just need to know soon what the possibility of getting it is. For this situation, is there a good way to bring it up or is it better to just avoid mentioning the other offer. I'm hoping to be able to leave the interview with some insight on my prospects at the job so that I can make a decision the same day about my offer I have pending. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

    Thank you!
  2. Get the Hottest Nursing Topics Straight to Your Inbox!

  3. 14 Comments so far...

  4. 0
    Don't bring up the pending interview. Simply ask what the next step is and when could you expect to hear back from them.
  5. 4
    Don't say anything about the offer you have on the table. Go to your interview and focus on selling yourself to them. If you HAVE to give the Michigan people an answer, say "why yes, I'd love to come and work for you". If the Chicago offer comes through and it is a better deal for you, then tell Michigan you have had another offer that you have decided to accept. Don't make this more complex than you have to, and don't think it's personal. It's business. Michigan will understand and trust me, they will get over it!
    turnforthenurseRN, spore2008, llg, and 1 other like this.
  6. 1
    Its great you have a pending job offer going into your interview.. If that doesnt give you the confidence to interview them back right back, nothing will.. The poster above said it best--Ask them for a timeline.. Close them on hiring you(without being cocky)...

    You can be honest and tell them you obviosly have several "irons in the fire" (as do they) and what happens next? Give them a hypthetical.. "If everything here goes right and you like what you see and you want to hire me-- What kind of timeline are we talking?"
    martinalpn likes this.
  7. 0
    There really isn't a good way to handle this dilemma. However, I am so happy for you that this conundrum is a good one!

    If I were in your shoes, I would ask the HR department in Michigan if you could have a few more days to think about the offer, as you haven't had a chance to discuss it with your family because of the holiday season (if this is the case... BTW, how much time did they give you?). It never hurts to ask, and you have nothing to lose by asking. All they can tell you is no. Then you need to make a decision. For now, you still have options.

    I would not bring up to the Chicago folks that you have another offer pending. If the subject of other offers comes up in discussion, then I would mention that you had a formal offer but you wanted to interview at Chicago first because they are your first choice. But ONLY use this tactic if the interviewer brings it up.

    You have some leeway here. You just have to contact the HR department at Michigan to get some more time.

    I really hope this works out for you!
  8. 0
    You don't mention the pending offer.
  9. 0
    Do not ask Michigan for more time.. If someone did that to me after Ive put an offer on the table with a deadline I would trash your application and go with one of the people that have been harrassing for a start date. As bad as it sounds Take2Asprin said it best.. Accept the MI job to buy more time. Of course you will be shooting yourself in the foot if you burn them and the Chicago job drops out.
  10. 2
    Mentioning your pending offer at your Chicago interview will do nothing to move the Chicago process along any faster.

    Far better for you to be honest with the first prospective employer. Let them know that you are awaiting the outome of another interview and would like to give both offers full consideration so that you may make the very best choice. Ask them for more time to consider your decision and when they must have your response.

    They don't want to begin the hiring process with you only to have you change your mind, and will probably be willing to give you a little more time.

    Good luck.

    P.S. I'm curious to know how you are certain that the Chicago is "hands down" preferable to the Michigan one, given that you haven't interviewed yet. Please don't jump to conclusions about an institution without investigating thoroughly. We get lots of posts here from disappointed new grads who learned that their dream jobs weren't. Not trying to discourage you, just encourage you to be thorough in your interview of your prospective employers.
    Last edit by Jolie on Dec 2, '11
    msancheeze and martinalpn like this.
  11. 0
    Dont. Just accept the offer. If chicago offers u too then accept and quit michigan. Its just an interview so dont think too far ahead yet.
  12. 1
    Mentioning to Chicago that you already have a job offer is NOT going to make them more likely to hire you on the spot or even improve your chances...IMO I think it may have the opposite effect instead. Unless you're the best thing to happen to nursing since warm peri-wipes, Chicago won't want to be pressured by you when they have lots of other candidates waiting in the wings.

    I agree with canesdukegirl: I'd ask Michigan if you can get a few more days to decide. If they say Yes, great...but be prepared to make a decision by that new deadline: if you ask for a second extension you risk them thinking you're more trouble than you're worth, or that you're not really interested in working there.

    If they say No, then you have a decision to make: take a guaranteed job offer with Michigan, or take your chances with Chicago and risk ending up with nothing. Unfortunately there's no way to forecast how Chicago is going to pan out, and only you can decide if the risk is worth it.

    Best of luck whatever you decide!
    not.done.yet likes this.


Top