Have you ever been asked to bring something to an interview?Register Today!
- by pbuttercups Dec 26, '12I have just been called back for a 2nd interview, and they said to bring something to "show" who I am as a person. They said it could be a project or report I did in school. I just wanted to see if anyone else has ever been in my situation and I would like to get some ideas!!! Thanks for any info.
- Dec 27, '12 by littlenurse23That's tough! I've never heard of that. The only thing I can think of is your résumé and cover letter but I think they're looking for something more original. I find this to be a strange request of them. Maybe an old care plan that you got a good grade on?
- Dec 27, '12 by JaadeWe were taught to make portfolios when I was in school. They included awards and certifications, CEs, certificates of participation, along with the resume, and other records you might need to show when hired (immunizations, copy of nursing license, etc).
- Dec 27, '12 by kaydensmom01I would show or make a report about yourself. Tell about your background, motivation, obstacles that you conquered, and accomplishments that you are proud of.
- Dec 27, '12 by pbuttercupsThanks everyone, I'm not real sure what they are looking for. I have a feeling that they have narrowed down their choices between me and another job candidate and they want to look at us on a more personal level now. What I'm thinking of bringing in is a "Therapeutic art box" that we had to make. It's very creative and original and it definitely tells all about me.
The purpose of the project was to show on the outside of the box what is important to you and how you portray yourself to the world. So I have pictures of family, quotes to live by, words that descibe me, and some of my interests.... Then the inside was supposed to be more private things about you that not too many people may know....things you only learn as you get to know me better....so I put crocheted items because I love crocheting, and a book of poems that I've written....
But as a back up, I'm bringing in a project and report that I did at a MRDD workshop that was pretty fun.
So wish me luck!!! It's 1st thing in the morning....I hope it goes well!!!!
- Dec 29, '12 by sbostonRNSo....how did it go? I'm interested in finding out what they were looking for. I would think it would be something more personal as well.
- Dec 30, '12 by pbuttercupsWell it went very well actually!! I took in the "Therapeutic Art Box" and they absolutely loved it! They said they didn't have anything in particular in mind when they asked me to bring something. They just wanted to see WHAT I'd bring in, and this box really intrigued them. They said that they would like to see EVERYONE at their agency make one. (just for the self awareness it forces you to do) Plus they said it would be great to have on your desk when patients some in, to allow the patients to feel a connection with you and spark conversation.
Thank for asking!!! I'm super excited about this job opportunity. They said they'd get back with me in a week or so.
- Jan 1 by chinacatRNGlad it went so well! Would it be possible for you to post a photo of this box? I'm friends with someone who just became a part-time nursing instructor and she's looking for project ideas. Thanks!
- Jan 5 by pbuttercupsI can't figure out how to a put a pic on here. But I will describe it. On one side I have pics of my family and pets...one side has words cut out that describe me...one side has my hobbies and things I enjoy doing and the last side has quotes I believe in...THEN INSIDE the box representing what people may not know about me, I have a notebook of poems I've written, some crocheted items I've made, and some chocolate wrappers...