The New Nursing Informatics Scope And Standards Is OutRegister Today!
- by rninformatics Jan 24, '08The new NI scope and standards is out! You may find it on the ANA's
website, specifically at
It's downloadable separately or as a package with previous versions.Last edit by rninformatics on Nov 24, '08 : Reason: link updated 11/24/08
- Jun 26, '08 by ADPIE10This link didn't work.
- Jun 27, '08 by rninformaticsIf a link does not work take a look and see if you can tell what/where the website is, go to the website and search within the site for the page you are looking for.
In this case:
The main website is nursingworld.org
Then using the search feature on nursingworld.org type in nursing informatics scope and standards and you are brought to:
Quote from ADPIE10This link didn't work.
- Jul 5, '08 by SuesquatchRNI just ordered it.
- Jan 8, '09 by rninformaticsNursing Informatics: Scope & Standards of Practice received a 2008 Publication Award of Merit from the Washington, DC, Chapter of the Society for Technical Communication (STC).
The STC is the largest individual membership organization in the world dedicated to promoting technical communication.
In granting the award, the judges praised the quality of the content, writing, editing, design, production, and overall integration of the book. Specifically, the judges noted that the text is well-organized, written, and edited; the design is clean; and the index is thorough.
The book represents the creative hard work of the Work Group members and ANA staff. Kudos to all who worked on this!
This project and the resulting revision of the Scope & Standars of NI Practice was one of (if not) THE proudest moment of my Nursing career. When we look back on our career accomplishments how many of us can say we participated in the revision of our Scope and Standards of Practice?!!!! It was a once in a life time opportunity to contribute to my profession and I was humbled and honored to work with such an awesome group!
Quote from rninformaticsThe new NI scope and standards is out! You may find it on the ANA's
website, specifically at
It's downloadable separately or as a package with previous versions.Last edit by rninformatics on Jan 8, '09 : Reason: cause
- Feb 24, '09 by AshleyWallaceI am new to Nursing informatics...but am very interested in learning more. Can someone tell me what kind of things you would use the standards and scope of practice book for??? I mean I know what standards and scope of practice are...I'm just curious about them with informatics in particular. Any info would be helpful! Thanks!
- Feb 24, '09 by rninformaticsJust as the scope and standards of nursing practice describes the responsiblities for which its practioners are accountable so too does the scope and standards of practice for nursing informatics. Just as a nurse uses his/her S&S to guide their professional practice so too the informatics nurse uses the NI S&S.
Examples of both nursing and nursing informatics S&Ss include:
a Definition of the discipline -
"Nursing is the protection, promotion,and optimization of health and abilities, prevention of illness and injury, alleviation of suffering through the diagnosis and treatment of human response, and advocacy in the care of individuals, families, communities and populations." American Nurses Association (2004)
"Nursing informatics (NI) is a specialty that integrates nursing science, computer science, and information science to manage and communicate data, information, knowledge, and wisdom in nursing practice. NI supports consumers, patients, nurses, and other providers in their decision-making in all roles and settings. This support is accomplished through the use of information structures, information processes, and information technology." American Nurses Association (2008)
specific Standards of Practice -
"Standard 1. Assessment. The registered nurse collects comprehensive data pertinent to the patient's health or situation." ANA (2004)
"Standard 1. Assessment. The informatics nurse collects comprehensive data, information and knowledge pertinent to the situtation." ANA (2008)
Quote from AshleyWallaceI am new to Nursing informatics...but am very interested in learning more. Can someone tell me what kind of things you would use the standards and scope of practice book for??? I mean I know what standards and scope of practice are...I'm just curious about them with informatics in particular. Any info would be helpful! Thanks!
AshleyLast edit by rninformatics on Feb 24, '09 : Reason: forgot to add NI reference
- Feb 25, '09 by AshleyWallaceThanks for the info! I will be looking into this more!
- Apr 27, '09 by kauainurseHave you worked in informatics before? can you kind of tell me what you did in the capacity? I was cinsidering going to school again and thought this would be right up my alley! Aloha!