I passed my certification exam!! - page 2
by rninformatics 13,407 Views | 26 Comments
I passed my certification exam!!!! YEA ME!!! I've been boad certified in Nursing Informatics for 8 years and set as another career goal to obtain my CPHIMS in 2008 and I did it Friday!!!! Per the HIMSS website: CPHIMS... Read More
- 1Dec 17, '08 by rninformaticsGreetings tmm43,
I used the HIMSS exam prep resources - the candidate handbook pretest, the CPHIMS self-assessment test and the recommended texts. It realy was designed to reflect real world current HIT/HIS practice areas - 1) Healthcare Enviroment, 2) Govermental, regulatory, professional and accreditation agencies, 3) Technology enviroment, 5) Systems Life-cycle, 6) Security/Privacy of data, 7) Planning and budgeting, 8) Law, ethics, communication, vendor contracting, 9) Operations management, administration, leadership, etc.
[/Quote=tmm43;3318415] what material you used for your exam and what you found most useful? i will appreciate your feedback... thanks.[/QUOTE]
- 1Feb 3, '09 by didodeeRNCongratulations!.... I am planning to take the ANCC NI certification exam and CPHIMS. ANCC does not offer a review guide for NI exam unlike HIMSS for CPHIMS. Since you are certified on both, how would you describe both exams in terms of similarities and differences?
By the way, did you find the HIMSS' The CPHIMS Review Guide helpful or did you have supplemental readings?
Thanks in advance.
- 1Feb 3, '09 by rninformaticsI'd say the NI cert is focused on content related to NI, scope and standards of practice and data, information and knowledge the trilogy of NI. Where as the HIMSS cert focuses on traditional IT basics and HIT/HIS practice areas: Healthcare Enviroment, Govermental, regulatory, professional and accreditation agencies, Technology enviroment, Systems Life-cycle, Security/Privacy of data, Planning and budgeting, Law, ethics, communication, vendor contracting, Operations management, administration, leadership, etc.
I used supplemental reading recommended in the HIMSS prep material/manuel.Last edit by rninformatics on Feb 3, '09 : Reason: addition
- 1Oct 25, '09 by dra9382I am currently working on a Masters Degree through Walden University for MSN-Informatics. I want to become certified through the ANCC in informatics. I have less than a years experience as an RN but a decent information systems background. Currently I am working in Acute care. Do I need experience to sit for the exam? And I am having the hardest time finding entry level work in this field. Do you think that a certification will help? I want to build experience in informatics while I build experience as an RN. Any advice?
- 1Oct 25, '09 by rninformaticsIn order to be eligible to sit for the ANA NI certification exam one must meet one of the following practice hour requirements:
> Have a practiced minimum of 2,000 hours in informatics nursing within the last three years,
> Have practiced a minimum of 1,000 hours in informatics nursing in the last three years and
completed a minimum of 12 semester hours of academic credit in informatics courses which
are a part of a graduate level informatics nursing program
> Have completed a graduate program in nursing informatics containing a minimum of 200 hours
of faculty supervised practicum in informatics
Hold a current, active RN license within a state or territory of the United States or the professional,
legally recognized equivalent in another country
Be patient sometimes its just a matter of right time and right place related to securing an entry level position. Have you volunteered at your hospital to be a sytem Super User? Volunteer at your organization to assist with any pending clinical information system implementation, upgrade or training. Contact your IT/IS deptartment. Tell them you are in school and need to assist with a HIT project for your MSN program. While you are talking to them inquire if they have any entry level openings??
Quote from dra9382I am currently working on a Masters Degree through Walden University for MSN-Informatics. I want to become certified through the ANCC in informatics. I have less than a years experience as an RN but a decent information systems background. Currently I am working in Acute care. Do I need experience to sit for the exam? And I am having the hardest time finding entry level work in this field. Do you think that a certification will help? I want to build experience in informatics while I build experience as an RN. Any advice?
- 1Nov 6, '09 by rninformaticsCONGRATULATIONS on passing the exam!!! WAY TO GO!!!
Yes I can:
Traveling 2 day road show seminars provided all across the USA - they had one in Alaska recently!
WINI - The Weekend Immersion in Nursing Informatics
Summer Institute in Nursing Informatics
this is the past summer's event but check the updated site for Summer 2010's event
AMIA 2009 Annual Symposium
Date: November 14 — 18, 2009
Location: Hilton San Francisco
HIMSS Annual conference always has CEUs for NI
Search the CIN Journal website - Computers Informatics Nursing for CEUs
Again CONGRATS and let me know if you need anything else.
Quote from didodeeRNAngela, now that i am Board Certified Informatics Nurse (since June 2009), can you recommend online CEU's or other organization offering CEU's towards my certification.
Thanks in advance.
- 1Mar 26, '11 by rninformaticsI passed my renewal CPHIMS exam!!!! Due to an extremly demanding career schedule, CRAZY busy home & personal schedules I came up several CEUs short for the amount needed for renewal & had to resort to taking the cert exam for renewal (akin to having to retake nursing boards to renew your license) Remember that old commercial: "Don't try this at home Folks"?
I'd not suggest anyone re-take the exam for renewal but instead keep very good track of the CEUs you need for renewal and make sure your employer is supportive enough to allow you to schedule time off to attend HIMSS and other educational offers so that you dont end up having to do what I did. I'd attribute part of my success on the exam to the fact that I actually do/perform on a daily basis the content covered in the cert exam, with the fact that for most of my life I have been told;"I test well" AND Primarily to the GRACE OF GOD!
Thanks to the Grace of God I passed with a score of 74 (passing score is 67) ! Thank You God, Thank You to family & friends for their never ending love & support especially during the last HELLISH 6 months!
AND thank you to the allnurses.com Nursing and Nursing Informatics communities for your support.
AngelaLast edit by rninformatics on Mar 26, '11 : Reason: typos