ANCC Certification with MHI?Register Today!
- by rnformaticsr4me Jan 9I have my BSN and will graduate with my Masters in Health Informatics in May. I would like to obtain my RN-BC Informatics certification. Unless I am misunderstanding, the qualifications for the RN-BC Informatics certification state that you must have your MSN in Nursing Informatics. Has anyone qualified to test with their MHI? I tried calling the number but had to hang up after a long hold time.
- 826 Views
- Jan 9 by mariafhFor an RN-BC, you only need to have a Bachelor's degree in nursing. There is no requirement for master's degree. Check the web site for ANCC.
- Jan 9 by rnformaticsr4meI was speaking of the informatics qualifications for practice requirements (These are directly from the ANCC website):
– Have practiced a minimum of 2,000 hours in informatics nursing within the last 3 years.
– Have practiced a minimum of 1,000 hours in informatics nursing in the last 3 years and completed a minimum
of 12 semester hours of academic credit in informatics courses that are part of a graduate-level informatics nursing
– Have completed a graduate program in informatics nursing containing a minimum of 200 hours of faculty-supervised
practicum in informatics nursing.
I have over 1,000 hours but not the 2,000 hours of practice to qualify without my graduate education. Notice the graduate programs stipulate only a graduate-level informatics nursing program. I am trying to find out if anyone has used the MHI in place of this program requirement.
- Jan 13 by tlancioThe answer to your question is yes, you can use your MHI to meet the requirements of
"12 semester hours of academic credit in informatics courses that are part of a graduate-level informatics nursing
program." Health Informatics is part of a nursing informatics graduate program.
You do not have to have a Masters in Nursing Informatics to qualify for certification.
Hope this helps.
- Jan 13 by rnformaticsr4meThank you!!! It does help.