What are the differences in job duties of a RPN/LPN in Canada vs. the U.S.?Register Today!
- by studentnurse1989 Jan 24What are differences in job duties of a RPN/LPN in Canada vs. the U.S.?
I just completed my education in Canada, so I have no experience as an employee yet. I am considering working in the U.S. for 10 years or less, and then possibly returning to Canada to continue working as a LPN. Would Canadian hospitals want to hire me if my LPN experience was in the U.S. only? Would they not hire me in a hospital because they would think that I had lost my skills?
- Jan 24 by Fiona59Do you have a green card to permit you to work in the US?
- Jan 24 by studentnurse1989I do not have a green card, but I might be able to get a visa. However, I would like to make an educated decision first.
- Jan 24 by Fiona59LPNs can't use the NAFTA visa.
- Jan 28 by studentnurse1989Yes, I know. However, I could get a visa if I receive a full-time job offer. But I am wondering what the job duties of a LPN are in the U.S.? I am wondering because RPNs/LPNs in Canada have two years of education, but I think most LPNs in the U.S. have one year.
Would Canadian hospitals want to hire me if my LPN experience was in the U.S. only? Would they not hire me in a hospital because they would think that I had lost my skills?Last edit by studentnurse1989 on Jan 28
- Feb 10 by RNGrad2006I am in Arizona and it is hard for LPNS to get jobs. They have completely phased them out in my hospital. The LPNs were given a choice to either upgrade to an RN or take another position. Some of the LPNs chose to work as Nursing Assistants. I know one on our floor retrained to work as a Ortho Tech instead. Most LPNs work in Skilled Nursing Facilities otherwise known as Nursing Homes.
- Feb 11 by joanna73The US economy is tough for local nurses, and RNs are not as widely accepted as they were anywhere right now. It's very unlikely that you will find work in the US as an LPN until the economy improves.
- Feb 11 by loriangel14There is no visa you could get, even with a job offer.