Nurse Scheduling GTARegister Today!
- by tashap18 May 9, '12Hello all, just wondered if anyone could provide me some insight into nursing schedules. I did some searching online but was unable to find information specific to the GTA.
I will be starting a nursing program in the fall and thus have very limited knowledge into what nursing schedules look like. I know that nurses primarily work 12hr shifts, so would it be 3 twelve hour shifts per week? and can you choose what days you want to work? I've also heard that emerge/trauma rn's work 4 days on, 5 days off is this true as well?
And of course any other info is welcome.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=708394©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 2,132 Views
- It will vary from facility to facility.Every place sets their own schedules.Yes if you work 12s you would do three shifts a week.Not all places do 12s.I work in a GTA hospital and we work a mixture of 12s and 8s.Once in a while I work a 4.Generally you don't get to pick your days.
- Actually the people that work 12s do three 12s one week and three 12s and an 8 the next week to make up 80 hours on a pay.
- May 9, '12 by tashap18Thank you Lori!
- May 9, '12 by Fiona59Don't forget that if you get a line and it's part time, that's a whole other can of worms schedule wise. I work part time and have one week in four that has zero scheduled shifts. A friend works part time and has 3 weeks out of 12 with no scheduled shifts and six 8s back to back.
- That makes a difference too. I work part time and pick up shifts to fill in the gaps.In the last week I have worked days,evenings and a night shift.Also a mix of 12s and 8s.
- May 9, '12 by Pepper The CatSelf scheduling vs regular scheduling can also effect your work schedule.
- May 9, '12 by Daisy_08The majority of the ft's at my facility work 2 12 days 2 12 nights and 5 off, repeat. Pts can have a a verity of different lines and mixture of 8's 12's and sometimes 4's
- One of my friends works 6 on,2 off,4 on,2 off.All evenings.
- May 12, '12 by stephanie22My preceptor in 4th year (in a GTA hosp - general medicine) did 2 days, 2 nights then 5 days off. I have the same schedule as well, but I work outside of the GTA.