How about your favorite Old Wives Tales related to health? - Page 12Register Today!
- Apr 23, '07 by IndyThe tobacco on a bee sting really works. I don't know how, but it does. I don't spit on it though, no matter who got stung. Nasty!
- Apr 25, '07 by santhony44Quote from IndyMy aunt used to dip snuff. When someone got stung, she'd take a bit out of her mouth and put it on the sting.The tobacco on a bee sting really works. I don't know how, but it does. I don't spit on it though, no matter who got stung. Nasty!
I was never the "lucky" one who got stung but I've seen her do it to my cousins.
- Apr 25, '07 by myrlpieMy mother always told me, "If you go barefooted while on your period, you will get TB and die. That's what killed Phoebe." Phoebe died in the 40's.
- May 13, '07 by PattiecakeHere's one from my mother. An old man should never sleep with his grandchild because he will sap the energy right out of him.
- May 17, '07 by Nursechick07If your baby has its nights and days mixed up, grab him/her by the ankles while baby is lying down and *flip* baby over to other side:uhoh21:
Lemon juice cures ringworm
- May 24, '07 by twinmommy+2Quote from Sis123I hadn't heard of the bread but as a kid I had frequent nose bleeds and it was usually "put a cold wet rag behind your neck and lean your head back". Ended up wiith a headache too. Plus people swear that blood will make you vomit if you swollow it, never did to me.How about the one about a nosebleed? Put bread under the top lip (between the lip and the teeth to stop a nosebleed.
Quote from Sis123people still do this in African communities as well. A little girl at my kids preschool was shaved once a year for a couple of years or so, and she had very thick hair (until they covered her head in extentions, looks painful :uhoh21: )They also shave the baby's head when it is a certain age (like 2 or 3 year old) to make it's hair grow in thick and strong.
Lots and lots of other ones from India....
- May 26, '07 by TazziRNWhen I was about 12 I had a boil on my elbow. Had it for a while before I finally showed it to my dad and he said it was a boil. Went into the kitchen to heat up a little milk, soaked a piece of bread in the hot milk and slapped it on the boil and wrapped it. Next morning the core popped and started draining and it was gone within days. Dad swore it had to be white bread and hot milk, but now I know it was just the heat that drew the head up.
When I was pregnant everyone told me I was having a girl because I carried wide instead of out front. Little One is a girl.
- May 26, '07 by Diary/DairyQuote from danissaMy parents told me this one too - I have really really curly hair!!my granma :heartbeat , swore eating the crusts of bread gave you curly hair. As a wee girl with straight hair i always ate them, what do you know! now i'm a whole lot bigger, and i have mad curly hair!!! ( But then so did my Granma, my uncles, my daughter etc!, maybe just a family trait?) NO , it must have been that we all ate the whole of that bread!!!
And dont sit on a cold step, you'll get piles!!
- Mar 16, '08 by chasingthedreammy grandmother always told me if you eat salt it'll dry your blood up and you'll die. also the one about eating watermelon seeds and gaining weight due to the watermelon growing inside your stomach