There Are Places Where the Nursing Shortage Is Still Real... Let's List Some to Help!
- 2Jun 27, '13 by WideOpenHeartI thought it would be good to start a thread in which people who know about areas where there is still a nursing shortage (or, at least, good nursing opportunities) could share this info with job hunters.
I live in Oklahoma, and I can tell you that many (if not most) rural areas here have very real nursing shortages - and even in Oklahoma City and Tulsa, both LPNs and RNs (ADN/BSN) seem to readily get jobs.
Because of the legacy of oil money here, many of our rural hospitals are also quite lovely and quite nicely equipped, thanks to bequests, etc.
So, I'll start:
There are still plenty of jobs in Oklahoma (metro, and especially rural).
- 1Jun 27, '13 by KdreneeI wouldn't say there is a shortage in rural Texas (outskirts of Houston: baytown, kingwood, Pasadena, liberty, etc) but nursing homes in these parts are AlWAYS hiring, LVN, ADN, anything.
HCA hospitals are new grad ADN friendly, as well as cornerstone and kindred hospitals.
- 0Jun 28, '13 by WideOpenHeartMy dad has lived in Kingwood for many years (as did my mom, with him, until her death).
It is a lovely little town! It's laid out beautifully, with wonderful shops and schools, etc. Lots of professionals and executives live there, so everything is very well maintained. It's not like a big strip mall, either, because there are rules about signage and architecture. It makes driving and walking around much more pleasant.
- 3Jun 28, '13 by dishesYou can get an idea of which areas have a higher ratio of employment for registerd nurses from the Dept of labour employment statistics, in the areas that have a location quotient ratio greater than one there is a higher share of employment then average. Registered Nurses
- 8Jun 28, '13 by Esme12 Asst. AdminQuote from dishesexcellent resource!!!You can get an idea of which areas have a higher ratio of employment for registerd nurses from the Dept of labour employment statistics, in the areas that have a location quotient ratio greater than one there is a higher share of employment then average. Registered Nurses
OP...... I would not say that the nursing shortage is real.....for it is not....it not might be hard to find a job in a few select areas of the country......however they are not the vacancy rates of 5 years ago. The nursing shortage that all schools talk about does not exist.
No Nursing Shortage At The Present Time - Nursing for Nurses
Proof There's No Nursing Shortage:
No nursing shortage: roll call! - General Nursing Discussion
THERE IS NO NURSING SHORTAGE in 2010. - Nursing for Nurses
Is there a nursing shortage or not? - General Nursing Discussion
Last edit by Esme12 on Jun 28, '13