How Do I Juggle Multiple Job Interviews/Offers?Register Today!
This is a discussion on How Do I Juggle Multiple Job Interviews/Offers? in Nursing First Job Hunt Assistance, part of Nursing Career Advice ... I don't mean to annoy anyone with this thread...I know how hard it is to get calls for interviews....by whatdoIdonow? Jul 9, '12I don't mean to annoy anyone with this thread...I know how hard it is to get calls for interviews. I had to wait three months to get my first job interview (I had it this morning)... but after months of sweating and brain storming ideas and venue to search for jobs, any jobs, I am starting to get calls.
July 3rd, I had two calls about jobs. Today I had my first interview and when I returned home I received a call from a different employer to set up another on Thursday.
The problem is this: I don't know how to deal with multiple offers/interviews.
The jobs/interviews I have been offered so far aren't perfect: two are seasonal work-flu clinics- one with a national company and the other with the local health department doing in the school shots.
After setting these two in motion, the call I had today was from a rehab center. Now that work would involve more training of our nursing skills, so if it comes through, I feel I should take it. But, the interview is after the other two. I don't want to blow off the proverbial 'bird in the hand' for the unsure rehab.
If I accept the flu clinics (especially the health department) and the rehab comes through, after I've accepted the other, is it okay to turn down the health department afterall? I thought maybe I could say I found permanent work, not seasonal, and need to take the job.
I thought it would be interesting to have multiple jobs, with a few days each, so I could try out different venues for nursing to see what I like best without having to do something I hate all week just to have my first job.
I know I'm rambling...it's been an overwhelming day so far! I put out so many feelers for jobs (including educational classes and volunteer opportunities) I don't know who I can commit to and I really don't want to string anyone along.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=755001©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,448 Views
- Jul 9, '12 by whatdoIdonow?This experience reminds me of dating in college...I could never date more than one guy at a time because once I knew I liked one of them, I had no interest in the other! But, there were times, when waiting for "Mr. Right" to call, that lots of "Mr. Right Nows" showed up first...when it rains it pours!
- Jul 9, '12 by MeriwhenInterviews in no way guarantee that job offers will follow, so don't stress over how you're going to deal with multiple job offers just yet For right now, just keep booking those interviews until you do get a job offer.
Then when you get that first job offer but you're holding out hope for another offer, think long and hard before you decide to turn the first offer down. Since you're posting in the first job hunt assistance forum, it's safe to guess that you are a new grad. Positions for new grads are very hard to come by, and there's no guarantee that because you got one job offer that the next job offer won't be far behind, if it comes at all. Not saying you should jump at the first job you get no matter what...just that you should really think it through before you say No.
If you do accept the clinic job(s) and the rehab job comes through, then you could always withdraw from the job. I can't guarantee that you won't burn any bridges by doing that--and you should never burn bridges if you can help it, because you don't know if you'll end up applying for a job there in the future--but you need to do whatever you have to do to survive. If you do get the rehab job after accepting the clinic job(s), withdraw as early and as professionally from the clinic position(s) as possible. You had a good idea: explain that you are looking more for permanent rather than seasonal/temporary work.
Good luck in the job hunt!
- Jul 9, '12 by Ashley, PICU RNIf you receive an offer from a seasonal job, ask for some time to consider the offer. Say, "I appreciate the offer and would like some time to think it over. I will let you know my decision by X date."
That gives you some time for the permanent positions to come through. Then when you interview for the permanent job, be sure to ask when you should hear back about the position. If they are vague, let them know that you have to respond to another offer, but prefer their facility, so if they could give you a definite date it would be very helpful.
It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if you accepted the seasonal job and then later backed out because you got a full time offer, though. It's not a major company that you'll be burning bridges with, and I'm sure they have plenty of applicants.
- Jul 10, '12 by whatdoIdonow?It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if you accepted the seasonal job and then later backed out because you got a full time offer, though. It's not a major company that you'll be burning bridges with, and I'm sure they have plenty of applicants.[/QUOTE]
That's just it, with the Department of Health job- yes, it's a seasonal job now, but if I decided to do public health in the future, they would be the only ones in town if I worked for the state. Really don't want to burn that bridge!
May have blown the interview anyway (it was my first) and the whole point may be mute anyway!
- Jul 10, '12 by whatdoIdonow?[QUOTE=Meriwhen;6689257]Interviews in no way guarantee that job offers will follow, so don't stress over how you're going to deal with multiple job offers just yet For right now, just keep booking those interviews until you do get a job offer.
Good point! My husband's point, too. He advises I have to do what is right for me because the companies will do the same. It's 'business'.
Will try hard not to burn any bridges. Will have to brush off my diplomatic skills, if need be.