Which has better pay?Register Today!
- by Sweeti738 Aug 27, '12I have applied to several LTC facilities and hospitals. I would like to hold out for a hospital because it would be better experience, but they just aren't hiring. I did get a call back from a LTC facility that was considering my application. In your area who has better pay?
- Aug 27, '12 by Ashley, PICU RNHospitals tend to pay slightly more in my area (NJ) but it's not a huge difference and depends a lot on your experience and where you are located.
Unfortunately in this job market, holding out for a hospital position may not be smart or realistic. It's often better to have a job and start getting experience than it is to wait around for months for a hospital (which is getting dozens or even hundreds of applications per position) to possibly interview you. If you're offered a LTC job and you have no other job prospects, I suggest you seriously consider taking it.
- Aug 27, '12 by Sweeti738Thanks Ashley! Thats what I was thinking too. Any job is better than no job at all!
- Aug 27, '12 by peanutsauceTo answer your question, hospitals pay better where I am (Northern California). I completely agree with Ashley about holding out for a hospital position. If the LTC has good working conditions/low turnover, I would seriously consider jumping for it!
- Aug 27, '12 by IndyLpn317Quote from Sweeti738I could not find a hospital job right out of school so I took a position in a LTC facility. I got 9 months experience then applied at 2 different hospitals and got offered a job at both. I took the job that had better benefits. The pay was only $1 difference. The LTC facility offered more because they were so short staffed they didn't want to lose people. I would take the job at the LTC facility if you can't find a hospital that is hiring. Remember, it's not permanent!I have applied to several LTC facilities and hospitals. I would like to hold out for a hospital because it would be better experience, but they just aren't hiring. I did get a call back from a LTC facility that was considering my application. In your area who has better pay?