Graduated almost five years ago.Register Today!
- by BottleBlonde Apr 17Hi, I just wanted to see if anyone would be able to give me info. I graduated nursing school almost five years ago. I did not test for my license until a year later. Due to a lot of situations that happened all at once. I was divorcing, sick father , and a special needs son. I did not look for employment because I had a full plate. Now that I am able to go to work , will it even be possible. I still have an active license. No experience. I would appreciate any input on the subject. Thank you.
- Apr 18 by RNewbieI think you should take a refresher course and get relevant certifications. I'm sure you have forgotten basic nursing things and skills in 5 years. I think it will be hard for hiring managers to understand why you have not worked since becoming licensed. I would think that you should be able to find work in a clinic, ltc, or home health setting. I think it would be harder in a hospital setting because there are new grads with recent clinical experience and experienced nurses lined up for jobs. I'm sure you can find a job in nursing. Good luck!
- Apr 18 by marcos9999I am in a similar situation. I looked at a refresher course and it was only for foreign nurses, what a slap in the face.
- Apr 18 by soonrn2527Hi..I am a foreign nurse graduated year 2008. 2010 when I came here in california. 2011 i received my eligibility letter and 2012 when I took the board. January 2013 when I started to apply online to some hospital but no call back.then I decided to apply in person in ltc first week of april and I got it, I had interview and Im now on process of my pre employment drug test..so dont give up..just keep applying if you have no luck at the hospital then try the ltc as a walk in applicant.
- May 6 by Lore2984I understand how you are feeling, I'm in the same spot, I graduated on 2010 and got my license the same year in CT but I did not work due to some family reasons. I started to apply November of 2012 but I haven't been able to find anything, not even a phone call. I have been applying to all kind of health care facilities, hospitals, nursing homes.. I have modified my resume a few times with no response. I would love to work any where at least for a couple of years to get the experience necessary. Please give any hints or ideas on how to land that first job as an "old" new grad nurse. I am feeling so hopeless and desperate. I want to work as a nurse.
- May 7 by Inoriat this point 5 yrs later I'd suggest you take a refresher course, as much is forgotten as soon as you leave school because I know i forgot lots. take your BCLS, ACLS and apply to any and all jobs in person and online too. Even if they were to hire thing is how confident are you with these skills which you've not used in that long .. and would you be able to practice safely and not lose license. Good luck, keep trying you'll find something. and restudy your medsurg/nursing stuff too