I've given in and realized that my own efforts are just not cutting it,and would truly appreciate any critiquing or suggestions for my resume. I am in the Chicago area, and it is a difficult job market here, but I passed my NCLEX in June, and have had very little success getting past the instant-rejectobots since then. I stopped counting after I passed 100 applications. The interviews I have had were weird (lights were out because the interviewer had a migraine, the other was 10 minutes and it was 95% just talking at me), but at least it was interview practice.
Here is my resume. I realize it has a lot of fluff, and it is need of work, so this is where I ask for your help. Thank you in advance.
Seeking an entry-level position as a Registered Nurse that will allow me to put to work the knowledge and skills I obtained through my training in nursing school, and provide a great foundation to continue to develop and learn throughout my career as a nurse
* Associate Degree in Applied Science in Nursing (May 2012)
* GPA 3.42
* Psychology (Aug. 2003- May 2004)
* Psychology (Aug. 2002- May 2003)
* Professional Registered Nurse (Expires 5/31/2014)
* CPR Basic Life Support for Healthcare Provider (Expires 8/31/2014)
* Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point
* 60 WPM typing
* Electronic Medical Records
Clinical Experience: Student Nurse
Capstone Practicum, Intensive Care Unit
Bigger Hospital (Mar. 2012-May 2012)
* 178 hour practicum working one-on-one with a preceptor in the Intensive Care Unit
* Assisted physicians in sterile procedures at patient bedside (insertion of Schwann catheter, insertion of chest tube)
* Monitored patients in critical and telemetry status with assessment, hourly vitals, hourly intake/output, lab result monitoring, medication administration (oral, subcutaneous, intravenous, IV Push, suppository) and assisting with documentation
* Care of patients on mechanical ventilation, including suctioning, oral care, and repositioning; patients on therapeutic hypothermia protocol following cardiac arrest
Patient Services Representative
Dental Practice (July 2007-Present)
* Coordination of patient treatment, including creating proposed treatment plans,
scheduling appointments, and making financial arrangements
* Submitting insurance claims for services provided, and ensuring needed documentation included to obtain payment from insurance companies
* Verifying eligibility for treatment, and submitting proposed treatment plans for pre-authorization to insurance companies
* Ensuring patient and insurance payment received on services provided
* Opening and closing responsibilities of the office, securing of premises at end of the day, preparing daily reports, and making daily deposits.
* Actively involved in assisting the office in utilizing electronic medical records, and reducing use of paper.
* Communicating with General Dentists, Specialists, Hygienists, and fellow staff members to ensure outstanding patient care and customer service.
Patient Care Technician - Orthopedics
Big Hospital (June 2011-September 2012)
* Care of post-surgical/trauma patients
* Measuring vital signs, assisting with ambulation, positioning, toileting, bathing, and other activities of daily living.
* Bedside accucheck testing, discontinuation of intravenous catheters & foley catheters, intake/output measurement, emptying surgical drains (Jackson-Prat, Hemovac), scanning bladder for urine residuals as directed by Registered Nurses.
* Documentation of care provided, vitals, intake/output.
* Staff Member of the Month in July 2011
Big Box Store (Aug. 2005-Oct. 2007)
* Supervision of cashier crew, delegating tasks as appropriate
* Ensuring delivery of excellent customer service, involving managers as appropriate
* Opening and closing tasks for front end of store, securing of money with manager at the end of the day
Bagel Bakery (May 2004-July 2005)
* Supervision of staff, delegating tasks to ensure cleanliness of restaurant
* Ensuring adequate staff available to meet customer needs
* Maintaining adequate product availability, baking bagel and bread products
* Opening and closing tasks, securing premises at end of work day, daily deposits and
reconciliation of safe
* Phi Epsilon Mu - Service Sorority, Big University
* Student Nursing Association
* Phi Theta Kappa
* American Nurses Association
* American Heart Association Heart Walk - Event Volunteer (10/2010)
* Community Crisis Center - Volunteer (03/2011)