nursing, or radiology??Register Today!
- by ana115 Oct 13, '03I need some advice.
I am still trying to decide which to go into..nursing or radiology. My friends all want me to be with them in nursing school and I was even told by a school councelor that I should be a nurse instead of a rad tech because the field of nursing is "so broad".
My heart says that what really interests me is medical imaging, but everyone else says I'll just get bored, and there is no where else to go if I'm a rad tech, because if I get tired of one area of nursing I can go into another, etc. But I have looked at the fields of nursing and I don't really see anything that interests me as much as rad tech. I love imaging, I've always been into photography, and I honestly don't think I'll get bored. But maybe I'm missing something and should listen to everyone else??
Your thoughts, please!!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=46784©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 2,660 Views
- Oct 13, '03 by renerianYou can always travel if you do either option so things would not get boring. Do what you want to do.
- Oct 13, '03 by Tanzanite RNFollow your heart! Sounds like you really want to be a rad tech.
I think you should go for it
- Oct 13, '03 by WhyOI hear radiology techs make more money.
- Oct 14, '03 by mannaFunny, I've always heard nurses make more (and I believe they do around here).
I've been waffling back and forth between nursing and med imaging myself, so I can relate!
Rad tech is not a narrow field either - there are many ways you can diversiry/work in different areas there as well - ultrasound, CT/MRI, CVT, nuc med, rad therapy, etc.
Good luck making your decision.. http://www.radiography.com is a great RT board!
- Oct 21, '03 by ana115Thanks all for your replies! I'm still thinking.
- Oct 22, '03 by mannaOriginally posted by ana115
Thanks all for your replies! I'm still thinking.
Good luck deciding.
- Nov 13, '03 by firstmateYou should shadow both job options to get a real feel for them both ask ask ask questions and then go with your gut.
- Nov 21, '03 by maeykenDefinitely do what you want to do! If your job is your passion, you won't get bored! If you're not so sure about nursing, then I'd say go for MIT. It sounds like that is what you truly want to do. And the other thing is, if you do it for a number of years, and do indeed get bored, you can always go back to school!
One of the girls I live with is doing medical imaging, and she loves her program. And I agree, it is a very broad field as well. I proofread one of her essays that talked about the different things that med. imaging techs can do and it sounded like there are a lot of options.
Whatever decision you make, I wish you good luck and good study skills!! You'll need them!
- Dec 4, '03 by lyv33I vote for radiology and I'm a RN.