Magnet status hospital ??Register Today!
- by Tiny1Nisolet Oct 25, '05Can anyone give input on Magnet status hospitals? One of the hospitals I am looking at just received the award this month. The other hospital is not magnet, but I have heard great things about it and know it is a good place to work. Any input on the subject is very appreciated. Thanks in advance!
- Oct 25, '05 by ashleyjean3Well the hospital I work at is in the process of getting Magnet status. IT is a very difficult thing to do with lots of requirments. But besides that i cant help you
- Oct 25, '05 by llgAchieving magnet status means that the hospital has both met the high standards required by the magnet program ... and also been willing/able to pay the high costs associated with going through the process of getting recognized by the magnet program. (It costs several hundred thousand dollars at a minimum.)
A hospital might be just as worthy of the magnet designation but not want to spend its money on getting that official designation.
So, you must look at each hospital individually and the particular characteristics of each that might or might not be a good fit for you.
- Nov 3, '05 by cb0027I heard that Magnet hospitals only hire BSNs. Anyone have info regrading this.
- Nov 3, '05 by land64sharkQuote from cb0027I know of local magnet hospitals that hire both ADN's and LPN's.I heard that Magnet hospitals only hire BSNs. Anyone have info regrading this.
- Nov 9, '05 by mm4785I worked for a Magnet hospital, I had an ASN. The problem with Magnet status is that it doesn't seem to address the working conditions of nurses, just the quality of care that they deliver. So poor nurseatient ratios and mandatory overtime or extra shifts are still factors in a Magnet hospital.
- Nov 9, '05 by INtoFL_RNI have worked at one Magnet hospital, and one hospital that was in the application process. There was nothing special about the Magnet hospital. In fact, it was worse than the non-Magnet hospital. The nurses were treated poorly by the physicians and by the management. I have no idea how they managed to GET Magnet status in the first place! If I were you, I would go with the hospital that you KNOW has a good reputation.
- Nov 9, '05 by Tiny1Nisoletwell, they both have outstanding reputations. I was wondering if the magnet would rise one above the other. I think the best thing for me to do is shadow in the unit to get a good feel. I am going to try getting in there over break. Thanks for your responses.