Decisions, decisions...

  1. I have a dilemma. I graduated August 11 with my BSN, and currently the job situation in Houston is scarce. I did match day before my captstone started and went for NICU and didn't get an offer (Memorial Hermann). After having pediatrics in capstone I realized that is where I truly want to be! I had an interview at St. Lukes last week, and also Clear Lake Regional for PPU. I have not received offers for those yet, but in the event that I do, I am not sure if I should sign a 2 year contract if I truly want to work at MH in pediatrics. So, should I accept an offer (if I get one), or should I hold out for the next match day which the job would start in December. So either October or December... but who knows if I would even get an offer at MH... this is tough.
    Last edit by sarahnade13 on Aug 21
    •  
  2. 6 Comments

  3. by   not.done.yet
    You take the job you are offered. If you refuse a job based on a "hope" for getting into Herman Memorial you are far more likely to just end up unemployed. Let that go on a few months and pretty sure you are an even less desirable candidate, for HM or anywhere else. There is nothing tough about this. If you are fortunate enough to get a job offer, you accept that job offer. You don't turn down work in hopes of different work that may never materialize. Right now, you don't have a job. You presumably need a job. You get a job offer, you take the job.
  4. by   sarahnade13
    Quote from not.done.yet
    You take the job you are offered. If you refuse a job based on a "hope" for getting into Herman Memorial you are far more likely to just end up unemployed. Let that go on a few months and pretty sure you are an even less desirable candidate, for HM or anywhere else. There is nothing tough about this. If you are fortunate enough to get a job offer, you accept that job offer. You don't turn down work in hopes of different work that may never materialize. Right now, you don't have a job. You presumably need a job. You get a job offer, you take the job.
    Thank you for the response. I am hoping I receive an offer from St. Luke's, since I would like to work there. However, I have spoken to professors and nurse friends and they have said opposite of what you just said. Basically, the one hospital that I am referring to does not have the best reputation, and I would like to be in TMC if given the opportunity since it aligns better with my career goals. I am at the point in my life where I do not want to take "any" job if I do not feel it is the right fit (on my second career, and I did that in the past and I was not happy in the long run). I will definitely think about what you said, and appreciate the feedback. Who knows if I will even get an offer, regardless. I may have no other choice then to wait. I have applied to several jobs, so maybe I will get an interview other than the ones I have had, soon. Thanks again!
  5. by   Nurse Beth
    You are wise to consider the facility reputation. Best wishes
  6. by   sarahnade13
    Thank you!! I have been praying about it a lot, and am following my gut!
  7. by   Mavrick
    Quote from sarahnade13
    Thank you for the response. I am hoping I receive an offer from St. Luke's, since I would like to work there. However, I have spoken to professors and nurse friends and they have said opposite of what you just said. Basically, the one hospital that I am referring to does not have the best reputation, and I would like to be in TMC if given the opportunity since it aligns better with my career goals. I am at the point in my life where I do not want to take "any" job if I do not feel it is the right fit (on my second career, and I did that in the past and I was not happy in the long run). I will definitely think about what you said, and appreciate the feedback. Who knows if I will even get an offer, regardless. I may have no other choice then to wait. I have applied to several jobs, so maybe I will get an interview other than the ones I have had, soon. Thanks again!
    You are not at a point in your NURSING career where you have anything to negotiate with. If you don't want the job offered, there are plenty of other NEW GRADS that can and will take it. Right now you don't have a job nor any offers.

    Be ready to accept the consequences of your gamble.
  8. by   sarahnade13
    Update: I did turn a position down, and heard back from the hospital I was hoping to hear from. I start my new job on the cardiac telemetry unit in October! Passed boards as well. Looking forward to starting my new career! Thanks for the advice.
    Last edit by sarahnade13 on Sep 15 : Reason: Spelling error

close