- 0Feb 12 by TesfanurseI passed NCLEX-RN more than a week ago. I started looking for work and I found hospitals hiring in my area. The problem is I will be overseas for two months. I cant apply now because if I am called for an interview I will not be here. Should I change my mind about the trip or hope there will be more opennings when I come back?
- 3Feb 12 by vanessaem, BSN, RNQuote from TesfanurseI say getting a job is more important than the trip. Unless it's a trip you definitely have to go on, I'd stay and try and get a job while they're still available. The competition is stiff. There will be no guarantees you'll see those opportunities when you get back.I passed NCLEX-RN more than a week ago. I started looking for work and I found hospitals hiring in my area. The problem is I will be overseas for two months. I cant apply now because if I am called for an interview I will not be here. Should I change my mind about the trip or hope there will be more opennings when I come back?
- 0Feb 12 by RNGriffinYou should apply, and if offered make them aware of your preplanned trip.
There are nurse managers who may decide this position needs to be filled right away. Then there are those who may say, hey, we like her lets hold the position. The other obstacle you will run into, jobs are taking longer to filter and interview candidates. So, you may miss your call for an interview while you are away on vacation.
- 0Feb 12 by roser13It really depends upon the value to you of the overseas trip. If it can be cancelled/postponed, it should.
Deciding factor: if you take your trip, come home after 2 months & apply for positions but do not receive a call-back or interview, how will you feel?
Will you then realize that you could have sacrificed the trip in order to obtain employment, or will you still be glad that you took the 2 months?
- 0Feb 12 by diamond_girlGo on the trip. I'm sure it's already paid for and you probably have been looking forward to it. Take the time to celebrate. If you will have internet access overseas, you can always apply when it's getting close to the end of your trip. If you have the money to take this trip, and be gone for 2 months, it sounds like you are in a financially stable situation at the moment. You planned the trip knowing you would be done with school/starting your career around this time, right?
- 0Feb 12 by TesfanurseThanks for the input guys... I can't back out of the trip because I already bought the ticket which is non refundable.i thought hard about it and I will go because although I want a job the positions are not what I am looking for. My dream has always been to work on general medical-surgical floor and none of the hospitals are hiring for such position. I will take this long vacation that I planned to celebrate my NCLEX-RN success....while overseas I will keep checking for positions until I find what I'm looking for and cut short my vacation if I have to.
- 0Feb 12 by CuddleswithpuddlesKeep in mind that job openings do not always equate to a job, much less a callback.
Are these job openings for time-sensitive new grad programs that only hire once or twice a year?
If not, I would be more inclined to go on a trip. Two months post licensure will not put you at a disadvantage, and you probably will not have time like that to go on a trip in the near future.