I have had some ongoing troubles during my new grad orientation, that I have previously posted about, regarding lack of guidance and proper training...being put into unstable high acuity patient areas before I am ready, when I was previously told by management no new grads start in those areas straight off orientation...high nurse turnover and constant shortages so that my preceptor takes their own patients rather than support me.... I know the department I am in is not working out on many levels and have started looking for another job. The good news is I have an interview at a different hospital that previously offered me a job after I had accepted at the job I am at now. In the meantime, I am left with a problem that I would love some feedback on.
My orientation was extended, week to week. I was taken off the schedule that came out for when I came off orientation, and told to work what the NM gave me, week to week. I have done this for 2 weeks. On my last day of the week last week, I couldn't find her to ask her when to come in this week--normally she found me and told me the days. I have emailed her twice to ask if I am coming in this week, with no response. I am debating calling her either tonight or tomorrow, but wonder how much should I push this? I feel like she wants me to quit. We have our differences, and I have a preceptor who is argumentative and twists my words to the NM. It has led to miscommunication, and my NM shutting me down when I approach her for any reason at all. My feeling is she is trying to squeeze me out, so she doesn't have to fire me, as she really doesn't have real good reason to fire me. I haven't done anything wrong. It feels to be a personality conflict, along with miscommunication from my preceptor to her, whether deliberate or not. Throughout all this I have maintained tact and professionalism, even when feeling greatly frusterated.
I want to be professional and show I tried contacting her for a schedule, but how far do I go--what is my professional responsibility here? Do I try every day to reach her, or let it lie and wait for a resonse. At this point, if I am not welcome back, it wouldn't be the end of the world, as I am so miserable there, and I can just focus on my interview Wednesday. I just want to know where I stand though as it has my stomach in knots!!
Thanks for any input, it is most appreciated.