Welcome to the Forum - General Aussie Chat - Page 14Register Today!
- Jun 14, '06 by maryhadalittlelambhello am nurse [lpn since 1975] and new rn grad,live in new jersey,usa,and husband planning to relocate to australia in august would appreciate any advice for new nurse looking for work area moving to is new brisbane. any info will be helpfull what is boxing day?
- Jun 14, '06 by nambour51Whether you will be able to work as a nurse will depend on your visa/work permit. Usuallly RNs have no trouble but others may find it more difficult. Some places to look for work include public hospitals, private hospitals, nursing homes, day surgery units, GP clinics, or Agency work. Casual work is usually fairly easy to find, but permanent positions are harder to come by.You will need to contact the Qld nursing Council to find out about registration. If you are having problems with registration an option may be a 'personal assistant or carer' in a nursing home - basic care of residents with lower pay rates until you get your registration sorted out. Brisbane is the capital of Qld, very spread out, and is affected by drought at the moment. Mild winters abut summers can be hot and muggy. Boxing Day is the day after Christmas Day and is a public holiday. Queenlanders are known as 'banana benders' - Enjoy your time in the land of OZ! Qld is a great place to live in the unbiased opinion of this banana bender!
- Jun 16, '06 by Grace OzHi, Have just returned from a trip to the US. Just wanted to let you know that the friend's we make here on allnurses are wonderful people! I had the opportunity to meet with a couple during my visit and they are lovely people. Made me very welcome in America. Just goes to show how the interent can be a great source not only for obtaining information, but to bring people together.
THANK YOU BRIAN for starting this fabulous website!
- Jun 19, '06 by AussieTina
Welcome back Grace
- Jun 20, '06 by Grace OzThanks Tina! It's good to be back home! LOVED America, but there's NO place like home! Except that it's winter! :-(
- Jun 28, '06 by OnTheShoalesI'm waiting for handover on how IR protests in your cities were! In Melbourne, I'd estimate there were 50,000 people in the CBD tops. On the platform, they said 150K, but the speakers always exaggerate. Mostly tradies, to judge from the flags and banners. Bomber Beazley was there, but he got tepid applause except for when he said "If we are elected, we will tear up these laws!" Can Labor please campaign with Kim's hands, and leave the rest of him in WA? I didn't see many nurses (just one ANA contingent in black shirts) but then again, I was handing out leaflets for my anti-nuclear group.Last edit by OnTheShoales on Jun 30, '06
- Jul 3, '06 by meegsHey everyone!
Im new to this forum thing and just found the Aust part so thought i would say hi! Im meg i just turned 18 and finished yr 12 last week. I live in Canberra and just got my letter of acceptance into enrolled nursing so i'm stoked! Im an AIN atm and have been working in nursing homes for the past 18 months and cant wait to start in hospitals. I really dont know what im in for so any advice on EN's would be great!
- Jul 3, '06 by nambour51Welcome Meg. I was in Canberra in May for the ACORN conference. We had beautiful weather and it wasn't nearly as cold as I thought it would be. All the best with your studies.
- Jul 4, '06 by Grace OzQuote from meegswelcome to allnurses, meegs!hey everyone!
im new to this forum thing and just found the aust part so thought i would say hi! im meg i just turned 18 and finished yr 12 last week. i live in canberra and just got my letter of acceptance into enrolled nursing so i'm stoked! im an ain atm and have been working in nursing homes for the past 18 months and cant wait to start in hospitals. i really dont know what im in for so any advice on en's would be great!
you'll find plenty of advice and support here.
best wishes with your studies and future career in nursing!
- Jul 5, '06 by AussieTina[BANANA]GO QUEENSLAND[/BANANA]
We won the State of Origin!
Tina: proud to be a queenslander!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!