Does it sound like I can get my job back?Register Today!
This is a discussion on Does it sound like I can get my job back? in Nursing and Professionalism, part of Nursing Career Advice ... At the Nursing home I work at we use walkie talkies to communicate with other staff members. A...by hfullerCNA Jul 19, '12At the Nursing home I work at we use walkie talkies to communicate with other staff members. A nurse that I work with one night got a resident to say "Get money b****** over them. She then posts on my Facebook using the residents initials "I got .. to say get money ******* over the walkies." State was at our facility last week and called me in to talk with them asking me if I knew of any staff members posting about residents on Facebook, I told them I didn't because honestly I forgot about that incident. This past Monday, the Director of Nursing called me and explained to me that I was terminated due to residents rights and there was a pending investigation by state against me and the nurse. I did absolutely nothing wrong, I never posted anything on Facebook...so how is it my fault for her actions and why am I being terminated for something somebody else did? Does it sound like I will be able to get my job back seeing that I didn't do anything?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=759685©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 4,655 Views
- Jul 19, '12 by eatmysoxRNWhy didn't you report that she posted it? I don't even list my workplace on my facebook. If someone posted anything about work on my facebook, I'd probably delete it and tell them I didn't want anything like that on my page. Employers are really serious about keeping patients off of social network sites. Never involve residents/patients with anything outside of work. HIPAA (sp?) Is serious. Good luck. Hopefully it will be a lesson learned.
- Jul 19, '12 by happyloserIt was your responsibility to remove the unwanted and rather tasteless comment from YOUR FaceBook page.
I have seen many co-workers get called in by Human Resources for issues with comments made on social media websites. While I think it is healthy to have friends from work and post status updates such as "Night 3 of 3, almost done!" I think it is dumb and tasteless to put things like "Huge Code Brown in 60289, no more GoLytely for you!"
I think we should all use a little common sense tis' all. Best of Luck!
- Jul 19, '12 by kakamegamamaIn effect you lied about not having anything posted on FB. HIPAA was violated, a patient was exposed to ridicule and their dignity was slammed. There was no way for the investigators to know that you had forgotten your fellow staff member sent that post to you.
- Jul 19, '12 by TheCommuterNone of my coworkers are 'Facebook friends' of mine for this very reason. It is more trouble that it is really worth.
- Jul 19, '12 by xoemmylouoxYou should have deleted it ASAP. I don't find it to be funny. You prob. won't get your job back so I would start looking elsewhere.
- Jul 19, '12 by caliotter3Now you know why people do not associate their Facebook accounts with their work.
- Jul 19, '12 by netglowTo be frank, nurses are a dime a dozen and you are a problem.
You need to know that this might not be over, and you might be called to your BON. It might be a good idea to get some legal advice on what could happen and what your options might be eg. how to handle stuff.
- Jul 19, '12 by netglowI'll also repeat that Facebook is for kids, folks - grow the heck up, drop your account if you still have one and join the adult world.
- Jul 19, '12 by SparrowhawkWhen you saw it you should have reported the other nurse, you can say you forgot it and no one will believe ou. No you can't get your job back and if i was your boss i wouldnt give it to you.