What are the chances of being infected onthe job?Register Today!
- by Crystal112 Feb 9, '10What are the chances of a nurse contracting diseases like Hep C / HIV while on the job around people with blood-borne illnesses?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=455365©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,221 Views
- Feb 9, '10 by mamamerleeObviously, this has happened. But it is extremely rare in these days of universal precautions, and needle-less IV systems. Considering that there are millions of opportunities during patient contact, with appropriate care, this should not be an undue cause for concern.
- Feb 9, '10 by tewdlesAgreed, careful attention to universal precautions will result in practice habits which protect you daily.
- Feb 9, '10 by crazy~studentI'm in nursing school and am allergic to an ingredient in the Hep B shots and cannot get them, so I had to sign a waiver. I follow all universal precautions to the T, even if it's overkill sometimes. I know I am not alone in not having the shots, but it is always better to be safe.
- Feb 11, '10 by Crystal112I would have done the same thing if I had allergies.