Life skills nurses learn - page 2
by brian 20,215 Views | 14 Comments Admin
nurses learn many life skills on the job, managing chaos is just one of them :) if you enjoyed this please click the like button. thanks read more nursing cartoons here: about a nurse and about a nursing student ... Read More
- 0Feb 23, '12 by VICEDRN1. the details aren't relevant until they are relevant. plans are always fluids and in progress. go with the flow.
2. life is bittersweet. enjoy it. none of my trauma/CPR patient families woke up today thinking this was the last time they were going to see their loved ones alive.
3. smile and be gentle and understanding to people who work with customers. of any type. people are brutal and awful. it gets you everywhere to acknowledge how hard people work on your behalf.
4. tell people you are a nurse. it helps. people like nurses. ;-)
- 1Feb 23, '12 by StudentNurse2011LOL Yup! That's why I said "safe." ;-) Only nurses can appreciate the humor (and truth) in "Asystole is a stable rhythm."
Another thing I learned as a nurse is that everyone has a different definition of the word "emergency." I used to tell my family not to call me at work unless it's an emergency, then I went on to remind them that an emergency means something is on fire or somebody isn't breathing. lol My favorite quote: "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." My daughter used to have a bad habit of making impromptu plans with her friends, then expecting me to drop everything to accommodate those plans.
To be honest, pretty much everything we learn in nursing can be applied to life. Assess, diagnose, plan, implement, reevaluate. Always prioritize and be willing to delegate when necessary. Those steps have kept me out of hot water more times than I can count. And the ability to detect a lie; never tell a nurse a lie and expect to get away with it. We can smell lies from a mile away. We should be able to; we've heard them all at least a few hundred times.
Quote from VespertinasLOL
Reminds me of a nursing bumper sticker, "Asystole is a stable rhythm."
- 0Feb 23, '12 by VespertinasQuote from StudentNurse2011Really? Is it anything like smelling C.diff?We can smell lies from a mile away. We should be able to; we've heard them all at least a few hundred times.
Oh and since we're on topic of actual lessons learned and not the cartoon anymore... I've learned how to plaster a smile on my face and it makes everything horrible seem that much more bearable. Like C.diff.