Texas Extended Evaluation Program (EEP)Register Today!
- by Callahan, RN Nov 29, '12Anyone out there in EEP? I just started 1.5 weeks ago. I am pretty bummed that I won't be able to have a glass of wine for the next year! I have never had a problem with drugs or alcohol, hence my assignment to EEP rather than TPAPN. Just wanted to see if anyone wanted to vent about it or share their experience. I have not been tested yet, but I am pretty nervous about the possibility of incidental exposure I am still taking one Tylenol PM per night and sometimes melatonin for sleep. I hope that doesn't create a false positive!
- 3,083 Views
- Nov 29, '12 by MichelleRN34im in NC. I have never been addicted to any substance. I have to take random UDS for the next year... Its not worth the risk. I also have to report any antihistamine, cough syrup, and decongestant use. whats the ingrediant in tylenol PM that helps with sleep. Id be very careful. As far as drinking. You never know if they will ethonol drug test you or etg so id avoid alcohol. Good luck..Im here to talk if you need.
- Nov 29, '12 by Callahan, RNHow I ended up in EEP:
I took a medication that was not prescribed to me (for a legitimate medical reason, not recreationally). It didn't even cross my mind that it would still be in my system a week later when I went for my pre-employment drug screen. I lost an awesome job and went from feeling on top of the world to feeling like the scum of the Earth. I hate that it happened, but I have learned a lesson and accepted that this is my reality. I am thankful, though, that I was given the opportunity to participate in EEP rather than TPAPN. EEP is confidential, so my future employer will never know about it. I can't wait to start working so that I can take my mind off of this!Last edit by Callahan, RN on Nov 29, '12 : Reason: typo
- Nov 29, '12 by Callahan, RNQuote from MichelleRN34Hi! I am absolutely going to stay away from alcohol.... just not happy about it, but it's not the end of the world. EEP is the same with regards to cough syrup, decongestants, etc I believe b/c of the alcohol content and pseudoephedrine. The Tylenol PM that I take contains 25mg of diphenhydramine.im in NC. I have never been addicted to any substance. I have to take random UDS for the next year... Its not worth the risk. I also have to report any antihistamine, cough syrup, and decongestant use. whats the ingrediant in tylenol PM that helps with sleep. Id be very careful. As far as drinking. You never know if they will ethonol drug test you or etg so id avoid alcohol. Good luck..Im here to talk if you need.
Thanks for your support!
- Nov 30, '12 by MichelleRN34My BON did not offer a seperate program for non addicts. I ended up having to surrendar my license for one year and then jump threw a bunch of hoops. i had to take at least four months of drug testing, see an addiciton doctor along with a whole lot of other things. I went in front of the board almost a month ago. I was informed at that time that i have a probationary license. No restrictions on the license except i have to have 4- 3 month evals done by my manager and continue to drug test until i complete them. So one more year of drug testing.
- Nov 30, '12 by Callahan, RNWow, I'm sorry you are having to go through that. It is unfortunate that your state doesn't have an option for nurses who slip up once and weren't jeopardizing patient safety. Before EEP, it was either TPAPN or face the TXBON for disciplinary action. I can't even imagine how I would feel if those were my only two options.
- Dec 14, '12 by Callahan, RNHad my first drug screen and it came back negative/dilute. Ugh! I drank about 16-20 oz of water an hour before I gave the sample. Guess that was too much. I haven't received a phone call from the screening place (Quest) or my case manager yet. I'm thinking that this test will not count and I just wasted $60.....
- Dec 19, '12 by Callahan, RNSecond drug test came back negative (not dilute)! Still haven't been called about the negative/dilute result.......
- Jan 8 by Callahan, RNLooks like I have to stop taking my Tylenol PM. Option IV tests for Diphenhydramine according to this:
I'll be sticking to Melatonin from now on!
BTW, I received a letter about my dilute test. It said that after a 2nd dilute I will have to get my kidney function checked and a 3rd dilute = a positive test. Hopefully I can avoid having another dilute.
I'm starting a critical care residency next month and that's when the real challenge will begin with regards to testing. I'll have to find a lab that does after hours testing just in case. I really doubt that we will be allowed to leave the hospital during a shift. It's a bit stressful to think about, but I'll get through it! 10 months to go, lol!!Last edit by Callahan, RN on Jan 8 : Reason: typo
- Feb 26 by Callahan, RNBeware of back to back testing!
I was just selected for testing two days in a row. Not that anyone is being non-compliant, but I just wanted to let y'all know that it does happen. So, when selected, don't think you are good to go for a while regarding your schedule or whatever.... you may be tested tomorrow, too!