RN taking prescription benzo's for sleepRegister Today!
- by fireball72 Feb 21, '09Is it legal for a RN to take prescription xanax for help with anxiety and sleep? Will I get in trouble for this?
- Feb 22, '09 by chiefshewhoThis is an odd question for me. Are you in some kind of program? I think you need to elaborate some. Do you have a valid script for Xanax?
- Feb 22, '09 by FireStarterRNI used to have a prescription just like Sue's, I used it once a week or so, but never at work. I had found myself wanting something to help me unwind in the evening or to take before flying or going to one of the kids' school functions where there are large crowds and long boring speeches.
Now that I've changed jobs and am happier at work I never renewed the prescription. I've fortunately never had insomnia.
- Feb 22, '09 by waitingforthedreamI to have a script prn 0.5 for anxiety. Do not see why there would be a problem if there is a legal script and a true medical reason for being on it. I only take it when needed, certainly not 3x daily as prescribed. But it is there when I need it.
- Feb 22, '09 by SuesquatchRNQuote from waitingforthedreamI need it a lot.I to have a script prn 0.5 for anxiety. Do not see why there would be a problem if there is a legal script and a true medical reason for being on it. I only take it when needed, certainly not 3x daily as prescribed. But it is there when I need it.
- Feb 22, '09 by FireStarterRNQuote from waitingforthedreamNo offense, but I find this post concerning. Xanax is processed through the liver, and is habit forming. You develop a tolerance for it, I was informed.I hear ya!!! We live a stressful life. Most days 2 at the most, never three. If it were up to me there would be a script for 8x day!!!!!
- Feb 22, '09 by fireball72My doctor has just prescribed me xanax 0.5mg PRN at bedtime. I really don't like taking drugs but I can't sleep at all without it. I have been suffering from the worst case of insomnia, ever. It is ruining my life. It makes me so upset, not to mention exhausted. I finally had an anxiety attack. I felt I had this constant surge of adrenaline flowing through my body. The xanax helps, but I am so afraid of addiction. I have made an appointment with a sleep specialist. I just didn't know if it was even legal for me to be taking this drug at night and then going to work the next morning. I do have a sript but still wasn't sure. Thanks for all the feedback.
BTW, is there anyone else out there suffering from insomnia that has found help?