Nursing studentRegister Today!
- by nursinggirl21 Jan 28I am 21 years of age and a recovered alcoholic but I am also anorexic. I am afraid that my eating disorder will consume everything I have worked so hard for. I start nursing school in April and I am so excited, yet scared to death to completely relapse. Help please?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=811563©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- Jan 28 by jackstemAre you working any kind of a recovery program for your alcohol addiction as well as your eating disorder?
- Jan 29 by subeeQuote from nursinggirl21Have you contacted Overeaters Anonymous? Some groups have anorectics in their group.I am 21 years of age and a recovered alcoholic but I am also anorexic. I am afraid that my eating disorder will consume everything I have worked so hard for. I start nursing school in April and I am so excited, yet scared to death to completely relapse. Help please?
- Jan 29 by JulieBlainNursing school is a HUGE pressure cooker! You state that you are 21 and already a recovering alcoholic (actually, you state you are recovered?), my advice is to wait until you know you have life on track before starting a nursing program, if you have to withdraw because of health issues it will be that much more difficult to get accepted to a program again. Why not take some courses at community college that will transfer, even some that won't necessarily transfer but will be helpful overall for a nursing career (like medical terminology, or back office). Continue with your therapy/program that you have in place for your anorexia, continue AA and do a few semesters at a Community College.
- Jan 29 by Lev, BS, RNYou are an anorexic, but you are not in denial? So you have gotten help..?
- Feb 3 by nursinggirl21I was a functioning alcoholic for 2 years and finally got treatment. I don't drink anymore. As for the anorexia, I have a treatment team and I am almost completely weight restored and I am currently in recovery.
I am almost finished with my GED and I will be doing my prerequisites at a local community college. I feel like my life has done a complete 180 turn. I have a good home life, I am almost done with school, I am holding down a full time job, and my health has markedly improved. I know I could manage nursing school and work if its something I really wanna do, which it is, and I can't wait. I just wa curious on other people's input.
- Feb 4 by Lev, BS, RNI think by the time you get to nursing school, assuming you are still sober and continuing recovery for anorexia, you will be fine if you have a strong support system.