German nurse with CA RN licenseRegister Today!
- by DocsWifey Nov 7, '12Question: I graduated nursing school in Germany in 2002 and worked for over 2 years on a cardiac ICU. We moved to the US in 2005. Since June 2012 I have my CA RN license. I didn't go through nursing school here again, I just submitted all the required documents to the BON and passed the NCLEX. I'm currently working in a surgery center.
My husband is in the military and we're moving frequently. I heard that international nurses (who already have a RN license in the US) have to go through the whole application process again when moving to another state. Is that true? Or can I just get a new state license by endorsement?
- 545 Views
- Nov 7, '12 by perioddramaI think it depends on which state you are planning to move to.
Take Nevada, for instance. The Endorsement/Reciprocity for Nevada requires you to submit your German nursing school transcripts and then the NV BON will notify you if CGFNS/CES report is needed.
On the other hand, Oregon BON endorsement/reciprocity requires you to submit a CGFNS or have the transcripts evaluated by an approved firm, in addition to documenting the English language proficiency.
Your best bet is to look at the state BON's website. Or call them directly.
- Nov 7, '12 by DocsWifeySo even though I have an active nursing license in CA I have to go through the whole process again? Do I have to take the NCLEX again? I didn't have to go through the CGFNS here in CA, everything got evaluated by the nursing board itself.
- Nov 7, '12 by perioddramaQuote from DocsWifeyYou do not have to take NCLEX the test over again. You may or may not have to go through CGFNS/CES, depending on which state you end up moving to.So even though I have an active nursing license in CA I have to go through the whole process again? Do I have to take the NCLEX again? I didn't have to go through the CGFNS here in CA, everything got evaluated by the nursing board itself.
- Nov 7, '12 by DocsWifeyAh ok, that makes me feel better :-). We'll find out in the next couple month where we are going, thanks for your help!