PMHNP programs in South Florida?Register Today!
- by shannarini71 Jan 31Hello all,
I'm moving to the Miami area after graduating from my ADN program in October. I have discovered that I really want to pursue a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner route--is there any school down in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area which offers this? Thanks in advance for any help!
- Jan 31 by reddgirlNo. The only school I saw that had a program was FIU and they have a moratorium on it. Might have to do FNP which has a Psych component on it and go from there. Also are you sure that you wanna move down here as the market is overly saturated with NPs. I've been looking for employment since October.
- Feb 1 by shannarini71Thanks, Reddgirl. Yes, I am definitely moving down there. I will actually be in the Weston area but am willing to go to Miami for work. I don't understand why the moratorium on the program, though. I am still in the ADN program and will graduate in a few months so just taking it one step at a time but yet I know this is what I want to do. Good luck with your job search!
- Feb 1 by harmonizerFlorida is the state where there is no restriction for NPs to practice within their specialty. Although I think PMHNP may be preferred, FNP with psych exp can do the job. Additionally, salary is not good in the South. That's why there is not a need/demand to create a program locally
- Feb 4 by reddgirlI agree with harmonizer. Just finish up with your ADN and get prepared for the next level. Either way I think you would love taking care of a patient on the other level. Good Luck!