OMG Say it correctly! - Page 2Register Today!
- Mar 25 by marycarneyNot medical per se, but here are my pet peeves of pronunciation (how alliterative of me )
Feb-YOU- ary instead of FebRUary
Temp-a-chur instead of tempERature
Lit-a-chur instead of litERature
ELL-inois instead of ILLinois
My late mother was a stickler for these types of things. If you want to hear someone who pronounces words correctly every time- listen to Alex Trebek (the host of Jeopardy).
- Mar 25 by psu_213Quote from marycarneyI would probably pronounce everything correctly too if I got a 2nd (or 3rd, etc.) take every time I pronounced something incorrectly.If you want to hear someone who pronounces words correctly every time- listen to Alex Trebek (the host of Jeopardy).
- Mar 25 by mortedefinitely regional accent....upper Midwest. Had to look up February....'cause I am guilty of losing that initial "R", found out both are acceptable!Quote from eatmysoxRNWaRshington. Ugh. Or waRsh instead of wash in general.
~ No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent -Eleanor Roosevelt ~
- Mar 25 by NurseDirtyBirdIntestine pronounced in-test-YNE, with a long "I" sound.
And it bugs me a little when the pharmacist says "lorayzepam." That might be how they learned it, Latin pronunciation, etc., but it just doesn't sound right. Officially, I think pronunciation can go either way .
- Mar 25 by psu_213Quote from NurseDirtyBirdThis one bothers me a bit too.Intestine pronounced in-test-YNE, with a long "I" sound.
The one I really can't stand, is when some says "lar-i-nix" (I'm hoping that bad pronunciation will come across) for larynx.
In a general grammar sense it kinda bugs me when people chart "pt laying in bed." Unless you actually put them on the bed, they are "lying" on the bed.
- Mar 25 by Esme12My first year nursing professor used to say that everything was "pacific" instead of "specific" in a sweet little southern accent it DROVE ME NUTS!!!!
She was a smart lady and I learn a ton but when she wanted pacific about a patient it took everything I had not to burst out laughing!