Higher Rank Harassment
- 0Jan 8, '12 by GitanoRN Guidei would like to know if any of you (male or female) has ever encountered sexual harassment coming from a higher rank. let's just say, about 2yrs. ago a dear colleague of mine was in the middle of this ordeal. he was up for promotion and without any doubt he deserved it, however, a couple of months prior his superior invited him for lunch and during the course of the meal, she let him know that if he wanted to advance in his career, he would have to satisfy her fantasies. long story short, he declined, and someone else got the promotion, everyone was shocked to learn that he didn't get what he deserved. needless to say, he went to the nursing administrator and presented his case. he was told that it was his word against his supervisor, and it would be wise for him to drop his serious allegations. my colleague resigned from that institution. therefore, my question to you is, have you ever been in a similar situation or know of someone who has or is going through this ordeal? and what was the outcome of such?
- 0Jan 9, '12 by FLmomof5I think that his gender worked against him. Folks don't want to believe that discrimination in any form can occur regardless of race, gender and/or sexual orientation.
Part of the problem with sexual harrassment is that it is difficult to prove without witnesses.
I hope your friend landed in a better place.
- 1Jan 10, '12 by GitanoRN Guidefirst of all thank you for your concerns & comments, and regarding my friend he didn't land in a better position because his previous job kept giving poor recommendations wherever he went. however, he decided to go into the crna program and his doing well, he will be through within 6mo.
i always say life is what you make it~
- 0Jan 11, '12 by ♑ Capricorn ♑Wow. I'm really sorry about your friend, that is awful. I'm happy to hear that he's almost done with his CRNA program. Here's hoping to greener pastures.
I'm sorry, but I can't help but think of the 1994 movie called Disclosure. Have you seen that? With Demi Moore and Michael Douglas. Its ironic how your friend and this movie coincide, although I realize that the movie is fiction and your friend's case, is not. Just thought I'd mention it.
- 0Jan 11, '12 by saabercrombieI too was harassed. Unfortunately, my particular incident was my preceptor and involved a patient. I was a young nurse and never said a thing. Someone else spoke up on my behalf and I am so glad they did. Unfortunately, with the unit director being well aware of the situation, he remained my preceptor. No more (sexual) harassment ensued, however I was subject to very angry behavior (verbally) and intimidation. For my yearly evaluation he was randomly selected as one of my peer evaluators. I received a horrible evaluation (big surprise). I met with my unit director and addressed my concerns regarding the ethics of him being able to evaluate me. I ultimately left and felt very defeated. This was my first job and I did not get the experience (clinically) I had hoped for.
My heart goes out to your friend.
- 0Jan 11, '12 by GitanoRN GuideQuote from saabercrombiei'm sorry you had to go through this as well, however, my friend wrote a paper for one of his classes on the subject. unquestionably, there are more cases like his which are kept under lock & key, as he found out during his research. lastly, his doing great and looking forward to the future. i wish you well in all of your future endeavors...ciao~i too was harassed. unfortunately, my particular incident was my preceptor and involved a patient. i was a young nurse and never said a thing. someone else spoke up on my behalf and i am so glad they did. unfortunately, with the unit director being well aware of the situation, he remained my preceptor. no more (sexual) harassment ensued, however i was subject to very angry behavior (verbally) and intimidation. for my yearly evaluation he was randomly selected as one of my peer evaluators. i received a horrible evaluation (big surprise). i met with my unit director and addressed my concerns regarding the ethics of him being able to evaluate me. i ultimately left and felt very defeated. this was my first job and i did not get the experience (clinically) i had hoped for.
my heart goes out to your friend.
p.s. ♑ capricorn ♑ i never saw the movie, however, you have peeked my interest, since one of my favorite actress demi moore is in it, i shall rent it this weekend.
- 0Feb 8, '12 by GitanoRN GuideQuote from ♑ capricorn ♑i finally had the chance to view the movie you recommended tittle "disclosure" with one of my favorite actress demi moore this past weekend. however, i was glad that my buddy wasn't present, every time the subject is brought up he gets up-set. in addition, his doing great with his crna program. wishing you a great day... ciao~@ gitanorn: its a good one. i hope you'll like it. best wishes to you and your colleague. i am sorry he had to experience that.