Feeling like a servantRegister Today!
- by nurseywifeymommy1 Dec 30, '12Do you guys ever feel like the families and sometimes patients treat you like u are the waitress? Or like they are ur only patient? It really irritated me today.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=805051©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 9,965 Views
- Dec 30, '12 by beekerAll the time. But that is the mentality the hospital wants them to have. We are there for customer service, never mind caring for our patients. Customer service scores seem to be way more important the patient care these days and it is a sad state of affairs.
- Dec 30, '12 by M/B-RNYes, I'm constantly fetching snacks and water even though the majority of my patients are ambulatory.
- Dec 30, '12 by That GuyMe to Pt: Anything else I can get for you before I leave
Pt gf who is not sick at all: I need a sprite
Me: Vending machines are in the hall
The look on her face was like I killed her puppy. If you are not the pt, you rarely get anything from me. The cafeteria is open til midnight and the vending machine is 24/7
- Dec 30, '12 by Fiona59I once witnessed a senior call an NA the "serving girl". There was nearly a riot on the floor that day. Management told her to suck it up because "he's elderly and knows no better". She went to the union, who organized a little presentation/chat to the seniors group on respect in the workplace being a two way street.
- Dec 30, '12 by jrwestwhy yes, you didnt know that we are waiters/waitresses with a medical degree on the side??????
- Dec 30, '12 by Lil'mamaWell many people feel we are maids and servers that also happen to dispense medications.
My pet peeve is family that brings in outside food yet expects us to furnish drinks.
- Dec 30, '12 by mappersI had a visitor say once, "We should get the nurses to give massages." I looked at her and said, "I think the nurses need the massages. Sorry, I'm not trained for that."
- Dec 30, '12 by loriangel14I draw the line at that behaviour. I make it clear that I am not their waitress. If they are capable of doing for themselves then that's what they will do. If there goal is do get better and go home then they will get up and their own stuff.Especially the ones that are up independently all the time and suddenly decide they need to to fetch for them.
- Dec 31, '12 by jrwestumm what do you do when management expects you to provide these things?
I mean, when you have to end your "encounter" with " Is there anything else I can get you?" what do you expect them to say - " Oh. no , that's ok, I can see you are busy" HAHAHA. No they will say "you can get me ........."fill in the blank.