Difficult Conversation re need for bathing - Page 2Register Today!
- May 22, '12 by knighton201not sure if this is the best technique, but one i observed very early in my student clinicals at a nursing home in the alzheimer ward, is the cna would weekly (as it was the policy every resident showers at least once a week there), would trick this lady into getting a shower, each week i understood she would use a different tactic.
the week i observed it, is as the lady was going to use the restroom, the cna ran across the room, and shouted, "don't use that toliet its broken!", then proceeded to guide the lady to the shower room saying, "here the toliet in here works, let's use this one." then while the lady was doing her buisiness (they had an arangement with the shower chair rolling directly over the toliet which the cna placed her on) the cna helped her undress and then said, "we'll since we're here in the shower room, and all ready to shower, lets shower!"
after a quick shower the lady emerged smelling much nicer, however did little to improve her mood as i believe the comment was as follows, "i'm going to shove my foot up your ......" probably well deserved, but as i understood it, that particular cna and that resident had a unique relation of being each others arch nemesis. dunno, hope this helps.
- May 28, '12 by zoey3270Thank you!!! It worked!
- May 28, '12 by CT PixieWhich idea worked?
- May 28, '12 by sauconyrunnerI want to know what worked as well!!!
- May 28, '12 by Hygiene QueenYaaaay!
Curiosity has grabbed me!
- May 29, '12 by zoey3270Sorry about that, I thought I was replying to the one that worked. Anyway it was the suggestion posted by Hygiene Queen:
"Ma'am, I don't know how to say this without hurting your feelings, but... but I do smell an odor and I know... I know I would be mortified and I just want to help you because I don't want other people to notice it. You are too nice and I just want to spare you that. I will help you. We can make it as quick or as long as you like and I will make sure you are kept warm and safe."
Took some time to convince her but she agreed to a shower.
Thanks to you all!
- May 29, '12 by caliotter3Yayyyy!!!!!!
- May 29, '12 by vintagemotherThis thread was awesome! Thank you all for the education on dealing with difficult issues with difficult patients.
- May 30, '12 by Hygiene QueenOh good!I cannot tell you how pleased I am that it worked for you too.That's why they called me The Hygiene Queen... Lol!