DUKE ABSN Fall 2012 - Page 7Register Today!
- Dec 5, '11 by SarJon123So while we're waiting to hear about interviews, what's everyone's age, location, and story?
I'm 21 and will be a graduate of the University of Kentucky here in a few short weeks! My degree is in Biology and I originally planned on doing Med School, but I realized over time that Nurse Practitioner was more suitable for me. I'm a people person and I don't really want the lifestyle most doctors live as far as family and such. I've applied to a couple of schools but Duke is definitely towards the top of my list. I have a pretty ordinary GPA at 3.495 (Organic Chemistry's are killers!!) and a pre-req GPA of 3.8 as I work on my Micro next semester. I have some hospital volunteering and an amazing camp experience at a place in North Caroline called Victory Junction (for kids with different disabilities and illnesses). How about everyone else? I'm hoping my GPA and age don't keep me from making it. This program sounds so amazing!!
- Dec 7, '11 by tinatacHi all,
I'm hoping my age doesn't keep me from making it either. I sometimes feel like they lean towards older students since they have more life experience blahblah...but maybe that's just me being pessimistic!
Anyway...my story isn't anything extraordinary haha. I graduated this past May from UConn with a B.S. in Allied Health (Health Promotion). It's a limited field thus why I want to continue on to nursing. I've got a 3.8 GPA & some hospital volunteer experience. Currently, I'm working as a fitness instructor at a corporate fitness center.
Good luck to everyone! Hopefully we'll be hearing about interviews soon!
- Dec 8, '11 by SarJon123I emailed M the other day and she said "We are hoping to notify later this month or in early January, possibly sooner." I hope the possibly sooner is more like it!! Last year they found out around the 17th. I graduate the 16th so I'd love to hear around then!!
- Dec 8, '11 by moggsyOh man, I hope it's around the 17th and not in early January! Finding out in the next week or two would be great.
- Dec 11, '11 by mellzie22Hi everyone,
I'm 23 and graduated in May with a B.S. in psychology and a B.A. in communication. I'm currently working as a teacher at a school for kids with autism. I do not have any hospital working/volunteer experience but I have a lot of personal experience in hospitals.
I am SO anxious to hear about the second round!
- Dec 11, '11 by moggsyWow, add me to the young age group... I'm also 22 and a May college grad. Had no clue there were so many of us! One more final to go on Tuesday and then I can start getting festive for the hols... finally!
- Dec 12, '11 by dancergirl185Hi guys,
Wow there really are a lot of us young people! I'm 23, graduated in 2010 with a B.S. in Psychology. I am also a CNA and I currently work at a children's hospital on an inpatient mental health unit, tough work but very rewarding! I did a lot of volunteer work throughout college for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and I also volunteered at a school for children with autism. I am so anxious and excited to hear from Duke as it's my top choice! Best of luck to everyone!
- Dec 12, '11 by SarJon123Does anyone have a reason to call in and maybe check with them to see if there's a chance we'll be hearing this Friday, like it seems they always have in the past??? I can barely get through these finals thinking about it!!
- Dec 30, '11 by moggsyWow guys, it looks like this thread lost a ton of posts during the website upgrade... Everything from December 14th on is gone! Yikes. Kind of annoying that all our interview-related posts have vanished... Maybe they'll reappear at some point. Do people want to re-post their Duke Day stuff? I'm going on Monday, January 30th!
(For people who might want to know this info for next year's cycle- interview invites were sent out on December 20th via email but those posts have disappeared into cyberspace).
- Dec 30, '11 by laflacaThat upgrade really did us in! I'm interviewing on Feb 3rd...anyone else interviewing that day?
Is anyone else planning to scope out neighborhoods? If anyone lives in the area and can give me ideas, I'd love to hear them. (my neighborhood/housing criteria: I have a car but prefer central, walkable neighborhoods with nearby grocery store, cafes, bars etc...don't mind a little urban grit, not looking for a suburban/family atmosphere...funky, diverse...nearby artists/studios would be a bonus, as my husband's a painter).