UNC-Chapel HIll School of NursingRegister Today!
- by exploringnursing Jun 25, '10Did anyone attend UNC-Chapel Hill SON program? I plan to apply to UNC-CH SON for the Summer 2011 session. If so, how was it? Is the program really competitive? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
- Jun 27, '10 by ICU11I am in the ABSN program now. It is very competitive. I really love it. Great program!!!!
- Jun 27, '10 by exploringnursingI am actually applying to Duke and UNC! Whichever program accepts me, I'm there LOL! I prefer UNC, but I need a back up just in case I don't get into one school! If accepted, I plan to attend UNC in May 2011. Thank you for the information!
Best wishes to you and good luck with the NCLEX!
- Jun 27, '10 by ICU11I applied to both and ultimately went to UNC. It is a great program for a great price. I ended up spending a lot of money to apply to Duke. If I had it to do over again, I would not even apply to Duke until hearing from Carolina. Good luck!
- Jun 27, '10 by exploringnursingI did see that Carolina is cheaper than Duke! Thank you for the insight! Looks like I will be going to Carolina!!!
Good luck to you!!!
- Jun 28, '10 by WolfpackRedI am a class of '07 alumni. IMHO one of the best programs in the state and, according to US News and World report a perinneal top 5 program in the nation. I also enjoyed the coordinated experiences with the medicine school students, along with the free clinic in Carborro.
- Jul 16, '10 by RoseRN10I also hope to go to the UNC SON in May 2011 I just wanted to ask you all if the job opportunities have been there for UNC new grads, especially in the Triad or Triangle. Does UNC still have a new grad program (I couldn't find one on the website...), or offer anything special to the UNC SON graduates?
Thanks so much!
- Jul 16, '10 by ICU11No, but if you do well in clinical you probably won't have a problem. I am not worried!
- Aug 17, '10 by Japorro13Hello everyone...
I was hoping on applying to UNC-Chapel Hill nursing program sometime within the next year...If you guys don't mind me asking, what was your pre-requisite gpa, overall gpa?? What are the usual statistics of those admitted to UNC? Do you know or know anyone who was accepted as an out of state transfer??? I'm hoping to get an email regarding my transcript evaluation soon...
- Aug 25, '10 by ncrn26Quote from NursingStudentRoseUNC will come right out and say they do NOT hire their graduates exclusively. There is NOT a nursing shortage in NC. Most triangle hospitals have REMOVED any new grad info from their websites, as there are few jobs. It is all "who you know, how hard you push, and if you start the search MANY MANY months prior to graduation". If you can get a CNA/NA job at a hospital while you are in school, it will be the best move you can make. So, if anyone is reading this....NO, do not go to nursing school right now if you NEED a job. There is NOT a nursing shortage. There is a BUDGET deficit.I also hope to go to the UNC SON in May 2011 I just wanted to ask you all if the job opportunities have been there for UNC new grads, especially in the Triad or Triangle. Does UNC still have a new grad program (I couldn't find one on the website...), or offer anything special to the UNC SON graduates?
Thanks so much!
Wait, YES, there is a nursing shortage, but only on the units. We continually work understaffed...they just "don't have the budget" to hire anyone else. Our patient loads are unsafe, and the acuity just keeps getting worse. This is not a "I'm going to LOVE nursing" time to become an RN. This is a "you better protect your license and know that you are blessed to have a hospital job" time in NC.
Sorry for being a bummer, but THIS is the reality of nursing in NC right now.
Maybe it is time to become a chef?